fresh windows 10 install program allocation

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hi All

So I have decided its time to give the computer a fresh install of windows and I figure its time to upgrade to windows 10, I have the ISO on a usb stick, I just have a couple questions

Can I format my windows 7 computer install a fresh install of 10 and use the windows 7 CD key to install it, or will I need to get a windows 10 product key?

I have a PCIE SSD that I would like to install window 10 on, then I have another SSD I would like to install all other files, programs and the save files for video games So if I ever want to go to another windows I can simply uninstall and reinstall without any problems.
Is there anything that I can get that will set this as a default option?

Cheers

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"I have a PCIE SSD that I would like to install window 10 on, then I have another SSD I would like to install all other files, programs and the save files for video games So if I ever want to go to another windows I can simply uninstall and reinstall without any problems.
Is there anything that I can get that will set this as a default option?"

this will not work like you want. when an application installs it edits system files. if you do change the OS the programs will need to be installed to that installation, you can reinstall over the existing programs, but you will need to reinstall them nonetheless.

USAFRet

Titan

You missed the year long free upgrade window.
You need to buy a valid Win 10 for this.

For redirecting files, see this...
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

For the drives and games? Like this...
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
321M0E4.jpg

I believe Origin has similar functionality.
For standalone games, select Custom or Advanced during the install, and select where you want it.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I tried windows 10 twice for free but both times I installed it I had games that would simply not work so I thought saving it to a USB would allow me to do the upgrade whenever I wanted.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks for the answer, is there something I can do so when installing a new program so the default directory isn't c:\ ? I get lazy when installing things and just click next most the time

USAFRet

Titan

If the system was previously upgraded to Win 10, and activated...then you are fine for a clean install.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

not that I have found.

USAFRet

Titan

No, and that would be a majorly bad idea.
You want a lot of applications on the SSD. Why have one if you're not going to use it?

As above, games can be easily redirected.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I have a 250GB PCIE card for windows only it keeps filling up so need to move things off it
500GB Samsung SSD for any programes I want to install
1TB Samsung SSD for video games

USAFRet

Titan

The OS only keeps filling up a 250GB drive?
With what?

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I dunno programs I use, only seems to take me about 6 months to fill it then ANOTHER format, I have been uninstalling things like crazy but it still seems to keep filing up

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

No backup or restore point I use godaddy online file server to backup everything important

USAFRet

Titan

Are you sure Restore Points are off?

If so, then your C drive appears to be ~100GB.
What is telling you otherwise?

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Its saying I have 9.41MB free of 111 GB

USAFRet

Titan

OK, that is a whole different thing than this:
"I have a 250GB PCIE card for windows only it keeps filling up so need to move things off it"

So which is it?
A 120GB (111GB actual), or a 250GB drive?