Diagnostic Startup Not Working

HawkinsT

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Whilst trying to solve another issue (sleep mode doesn't work) with my clean Windows 10 install (now a few days old with a few programs installed), I tried setting the computer to diagnostic startup in msconfig. Upon restarting, I would get to the login screen, but when pressing a key to login, where the new (as of the anniversary edition update) lock screen animation plays, a blue screen with rotating loading circles appears, and remains there until I restarted the computer (I left it a few times for a several minutes to an hour). I have to enter safe mode and change startup back to normal in msconfig to properly boot the pc. Interestingly 'selective startup' with only 'load system services' checked works fine.

I'm wondering if this might be a bug in anniversary edition (I didn't try diagnostic mode before the update), given that it crashes at the point the new animation is supposed to play, but confirmation, or any suggestion as to how to fix it will be appreciated.

Solution
start up repair just scans start up processes, its like SFC in a way, it repairs system files associated with start up. Its built into windows itself so it can't be that bad.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't even know it existed. Have you tried start up repair? though the irony of running one repair tool to fix another is noticeable. Since you know how to get to safe mode I won't explain the route to take beyond saying its in the advanced menu of advanced start up.

How doesn't sleep work, what is it doing?

HawkinsT

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

Thanks for your response. Since the hang occurs after startup and is specifically for diagnostic mode I'm not sure startup repair is going to fix anything that sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (which I have both already tried) will, and since I'm not sure exactly what startup repair does and my windows 10 install is healthy except for these two issues, I'm reluctant to try it.

On my issue with sleep mode (which I care far more about - and have reinstalled windows twice to try to fix), you can find the thread here, where any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.