Updating an Old system

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Hi guys, so, my friends have all gotten new PC's lately and are boasting about great performance,
i bought my rig when BF3 came out a while ago, my specs are as follows -

Intel Core i5 2500 CPU @ 3.30GHHZ
Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 m-board
8GB DDR3 ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 550ti g-card

i know this system is out of date, but right now i dont have much money to play with, i play games such as Arma 3 on low settings with a framerate of around 40FPS, but i would like to increase picture quality with a stable framerate.
I was wondering if i can simply upgrade 1 or 2 things to increase performance as the videos/streams i watch of people playing are 10 times better than what i get.
would a simple upgrade of the g-card be enough?

im looking to spend no more than £3-400, any questions you have i will answer asap, ty for your time

Your computer is very decent. especially if your CPU is 2500K- just overclock it to 4+ GHz
Just upgrade the video card. You can go as high as GTX 1070 without issues if it fits your budget and you have 1440p or higher res monitor.
For 1080p@Hz monitor - GTX 1060 would be great match. you can also expand the RAM to 16GB and add an SSD.
here are comparison of different gen i5s in gaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGge0tR4IM