Win 10 licensing issues when cloning to new replacement C:\ HDD?

mrbarnard

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 i7 Intel/16GB RAM which came with Win 7 Pro and has the license key. I upgraded to the free Win 10 Pro several weeks ago; it is authenticated and works well.

I want to replace my 500GB 7200 RPM HDD C:\ drive by cloning it to a 2TB 7200 RPM HDD as a replacement. (I do a lot of video and graphics editing, and have an internal 3TB 7200 RPM HDD for my D:\ drive--which is not bootable.)

Are there issues I should be aware of so that the Win 10 OS does not fail to boot or work properly on the new cloned C:\ drive?

Solution
No, it should be fine. If the cloning process copies all partitions then it should work fine. Obviously don't wipe the old hdd until you know it works. And you can't obviously use both hdd at same time without wiping it first.

When you upgraded to win 10 you got a digital entitlement to install win 10 on that PC from now on. Your key will become a win 10 key in a week or so, it happens after one month of upgrading. They have relaxed the restrictions on what hardware can be swapped but HDD was never on that list to start with as its understood they are likely to be replaced in a computers life span

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, it should be fine. If the cloning process copies all partitions then it should work fine. Obviously don't wipe the old hdd until you know it works. And you can't obviously use both hdd at same time without wiping it first.

When you upgraded to win 10 you got a digital entitlement to install win 10 on that PC from now on. Your key will become a win 10 key in a week or so, it happens after one month of upgrading. They have relaxed the restrictions on what hardware can be swapped but HDD was never on that list to start with as its understood they are likely to be replaced in a computers life span

Solution