Need help building a computer case

Michigan Tech

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hello all,

I am building a computer case because I just can't seem to find a case to fit my needs.

I am building a mini itx, full custom watercooling loop, with 2 3.5" drives, 1 ssd, and a GTX 1070. Size does matter and it must be as small as possible!

I am looking for advice, and critiquing. I made my first couple of revisions in SketchUp, so it isn't pretty. I am not looking for a given answer, rather a group of creative individuals who will help me design this case. I am planning to use small aluminum L brackets to create the frame. Something like this.

Couldn't figure out how to send pictures so here is a video of it. Click me!

I will be using a brazing rod to "weld" the pieces together, and then maybe rivets for the other, more delicate, parts.

I currently only have the internal layout designed, and as far as the outer shell/aesthetics go, I am going to try to recreate the ncase m1 style.

Thank you for any and all advice, and have a great day!

USAFRet

Titan
Buy a cheap case of around the size you want. Specifically, one that will fit your chosen motherboard.
Use that as a template for mounting holes, etc.

$25 spent on a cheap case is more than worth the extra time, effort and hair pulling when you get some measurements wrong, and have to redo everything.

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
My friend recently built a plexiglass case with L-brackets to hold the side panels.

He had some grounding issues that caused instability, so make sure the case and components (particularly mobo) are properly grounded. Just something to keep in mind.

Michigan Tech

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

I am using my old ATX case as a template for I/O shield mounting and for the GPU slot.

USAFRet

Titan
Next up - brazing + alu L brackets.

Regular 'brazing' may not work well with aluminum. The small oxidation layer that forms on alu will interfere with a good brazing bond.
They make alu 'welding' kits, that work well with a Oxy-MAPP torch kit.

Michigan Tech

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

I was able to find some of these alu brazing rods

A lot of people seemed to have some good strong bonds. Like this guy.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that is the product I was thinking of.
Works well. I've used them.

vs. the more common brazing rods used with steel.