A strange DVI Port on a Radeon GPU - Searched on Google Images, cannot see a similar one!?

chriscambridge

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hi,

I Just got sent a GPU, a Radeon (not sure of its model), but it has a very strange DVI Port that I have never seen before and cannot locate on Google search or images; any ideas anyone? I am guessing it is a DVI port as it looks very similar.

Below is a photo:

200px-DMS-59.jpg

** I have just solved this.. This port is called a DMS-59; personally I had never heard of it! **
From Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMS-59

DMS-59 (Dual Monitor Solution, 59 pins) is generally used for computer video cards. It provides two DVI or VGA outputs in a single connector. An adapter cable is needed for conversion from DMS-59 (digital) to DVI (digital) or VGA (analog), and different types of adapter cables exist. The connector is four pins high and 15 pins wide, with a single pin missing from the bottom row, in a D-shaped shell, with thumbscrews.

The advantage of DMS-59 is its ability to support two high resolution displays, such as two DVI Single Link digital channels or two VGA analog channels, in a single DVI-size connector. The compact size lets a half-height card support two high resolution displays, and a full-height card (with two DMS-59 connectors) up to four high resolution displays.

It's used in mostly workstation cards and some small cards made for business use. nVidia NVS models often had these connectors. I don't know of any new card that has it since HDMI and Display Ports are a lot smaller than DVI connections.