PC Keeps Freezing (Getting Pissed Off)

ThePOV

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I installed Windows 10 on my new PC and ever since I did it's been acting up. I will just be using chrome and all of a sudden nothing will load. Then I will try to close the window and it will stop responding. Then I will try to open the start menu and nothing happens. My computer is basically locked up and I'm flailing my mouse around the screen like an a** hole in rage. Ctrl Alt Delete doesn't work and no applications will work. I then have to do a hard reset so it will start working again. Anyone know how to fix this?

Solution
Hello, and welcome to Tom's Hardware,

Lots of different troubleshooting paths to follow here, and a lot depends on if this was a brand new clean Windows 10 install on a newly built PC, a clean install on a commercial or older PC, or an upgrade from Win-7 or Win-8.1 to Win-10.

Many times it has to do with a corrupted or incomplete hardware driver, so look in the Device Manager to see if any hardware devices have a yellow warning or red alert icon in front of them. Also check in the Action Center, under Maintenance to see if there were any drivers that were incompletely installed, and correct any errors you find. Possibly a driver was never installed from the manufacturer's or MB web site that is needed.

Also check the Event Viewer...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, and welcome to Tom's Hardware,

Lots of different troubleshooting paths to follow here, and a lot depends on if this was a brand new clean Windows 10 install on a newly built PC, a clean install on a commercial or older PC, or an upgrade from Win-7 or Win-8.1 to Win-10.

Many times it has to do with a corrupted or incomplete hardware driver, so look in the Device Manager to see if any hardware devices have a yellow warning or red alert icon in front of them. Also check in the Action Center, under Maintenance to see if there were any drivers that were incompletely installed, and correct any errors you find. Possibly a driver was never installed from the manufacturer's or MB web site that is needed.

Also check the Event Viewer snap in, to see what critical errors are being logged. That may give you a clue as to the offending device or software. You can click on the EventID and "sometimes" MS will have an answer regarding the event error.

Also go to the System Configuration App, and on the Services Tab, hide all Microsoft services, then disable all others with the checkbox. Reboot and see if resolves the locking up issue. If so, reactive half of the items listed, and go thru the same steps, until you encounter the problem again. That will give you just a few items to further eliminate to find the culprit.

If you are using Windows 10, you could boot also up in safe mode to rule out a Windows driver or service that is causing the problem. If all works well in safe mode, you know it is an added hardware or installed 3rd party software issue causing the frustration. Safe mode is still there and functional.

Hopefully that will get you on the right track.

Solution

ThePOV

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

I checked my device manager and found a driver update for my graphics card. Hopefully that fixes it, thanks for the response