Anyone understand the new Device Manager category Print Queues?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi everyone,
In the Win-10 Device Manager, there is now a "hardware device" category "Print Queues", under which most attached Printers are listed. There is also the "Printer" category still present.
Anyone understand why MS has added this Hardware Device category, and what the difference is between the Printer and Print Queues listings? I find nothing on TechNet, or in Windows-10 Inside Out, or Windows 10 In Depth. Appreciate anyone's expertise or a point to a White Page, or article explaining it.

Thanks

Solution
Mine looks very similar to the printer section of the Control Panel's applet "Devices and Printers". Since tablets don't have a Control Panel, I imagine MS added it to Device Manager for them. They invented the whole Settings deal for mobile devices for similar reasons. I'd have thought Settings would've been a more appropriate place, but the whole area of mobile support strikes me as strange anyway - what can I say!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Rocky,
Please do check it out, and any help from anyone would be appreciated, The confusing aspect of it, is that "Print Queues" is not a hardware device (like the Device manager "manages"), and it is not a Printer queue, (where a print server would queue print jobs for printing.). One would logically think that Printers would be classified under "Printers" and with all the millions of Win-10 OS's installed, there would a discussion as to the rational of the new category..

Mine looks very similar to the printer section of the Control Panel's applet "Devices and Printers". Since tablets don't have a Control Panel, I imagine MS added it to Device Manager for them. They invented the whole Settings deal for mobile devices for similar reasons. I'd have thought Settings would've been a more appropriate place, but the whole area of mobile support strikes me as strange anyway - what can I say!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS