List your problems with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Windows 10 Anniversary update was released several days ago and a number of users are experiencing issues, ranging from missing files and folders to apps and games not running. To help others, please list what problem/s you've encountered and what the fix was if you've found one.

In my case, I started receiving an error message that the file OpenCL.dll could not be found when my Folding@Home client tried to run. The fix was fairly simple. The Anniversary Update created a windows.old folder, so I found the missing file there (C:\windows.old\Windows\System32\OpenCL.dll) and copy and pasted to the current Windows directory.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Problem: If you have a local user, you may find you cannot set any browser as default in settings/System/Default apps apart from edge. If you click change anyway it leaves the default as blank instead. It only accepts edge
click
Solution: Go to control panel/Programs/default Program/Set your default programs. Select the Browser you want and click Set this program as default.
this will put the browser Icon in the default browser square in settings.

USAFRet

Titan

I just finished my main PC, and it left FireFox as the default browser, just as it was before.

Only was actually doing the Upgrade.
Regular update did not work.
Click on Learn More...that failed. "Something went wrong"

Solution - Run that upgrade assistant exe, and when it is done Downloading and Verifying, disconnect the LAN cable/turn WiFi off.
Let it run
Reconnect
4 systems like that so far, works just fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just had that something went wrong thing on mums PC, saw I had to turn off antivirus according to help based on error code I got. Will try that and turn wifi off tomorrow. I was not amused, took an hour to dl the update, now have to get it again. Had to use tool to even get update as windows update keeps saying she is up to date.

My previous fix is for local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. I saw other people with same problem on the windows feedback app, so I know it wasn't just my pc.

USAFRet

Titan

My systems are local account as well. Did not see any issue with 'default browser''.
It remained as it was before.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how do you fix the bug where you try to install the upgrade and it sits at 75% for over 4 hours and doesn't seem to be doing anything?

I just spent 6 hours trying to get upgrade onto a 9 year old PC, should I have given it longer or was there something I should have done first like start PC in clean boot with no AV running? I didn't have any of these issues on my PC but it is slightly newer.

jackeros

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
works for me, i have an application that uses openCL and i was afraid of install old drivers or even the current one, and have headaches with issues due unsigned driver

thanks man!

No problems with 2 laptops and 28 desktops I've updated in the last week.

Firefox didn't work so well on PCs where it was several updates behind, but after getting it up to the current level 48, it's worked just fine.

kanati8869

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Secondary drive in the machine showed as uninitialized. Since I didn't have much on it I just went ahead and formatted.

More serious issue is that I have multiple USB drives on this machine and after a period of time they just decide to disappear. The only way to get them back is to unplug them and plug them back in.

Power settings had USB disconnect set to ON by default so I turned that off and figured that had to have been it. But I woke up this morning and the same thing had happened over night. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Looked at 5 machine failures running the new build. 4 just had common machine problems unrelated to the build. One was a clean install with a attempt to install a unsigned driver that failed to install (as expected). Have not seen orther problems. Two complaints about the new build but user did not have it installed. (One was windows 8.x)

beastrow

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I have the same issue Colif lists above, only I typically make it to about 85% on install before it just keeps grinding away, but not actually doing anything further. That's using the built in system update feature, with antivirus turned off. When I would reboot, it was also listing an error when trying to update a printer I connect to on the network. Last night, I tried removing the printer and now the system update section reads no updates available, so Anniversary update has disappeared. I tried downloading and running the upgrade assistant and it downloaded the update, restarted, and my monitor never came back on. Seemed like the computer itself had activity, as I would see the hard drive light periodically cycling but, after about 8 hours, nothing. Going to try again tonight with the upgrade assistant and the network unplug trick to see if anything changes.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Does monitor turn on at all when you start PC? if problem is just windows I would expect monitor to turn on and then off again once windows starts loading.

I would make a new post so more people can assist you :)

beastrow

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

I'll definitely start a new thread to open it up to more answers, as this is driving me insane.

If I force a restart, the monitor will turn back on. When it restarts during the course of trying to do the upgrade, it won't register that the computer is on, (not sure if that means the graphics card isn't initializing, or what). The computer is definitely on and running when it does the upgrade restart, the monitor just never turns on, (it's on, but not receiving a signal). I've let it running for over 8 hours to see if the upgrade install is maybe just super slow. Always nothing, and I end up restarting the system manually. It will then start up fine, but it never registers the update as complete. What's even weirder is, initially, the update was showing up in the updates portion of the settings menus. Now, when I go there, it says there are no updates available, (I've been forcing it, recently, using the upgrade assistant). Is it possible Microsoft recognizes there are issues and have pulled the update for some folks?

slamm

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
All you need to do is CUT OFF all the telemetry crap.
I'm not affiliated with the makers of spybot BTW.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

RedGab

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
I can't play any steam games since updating and I'm also receiving several BSOD with the DPC_WATCHDOG violation error. This update has been terrible in my case, I've tried everything and nothing seems to help me. If if decide to format my PC wouldn't windows install again the anniversary update by default? (I fear that I may have the same problem, I would like to be on the previous build, Threshold 2).

USAFRet

Titan

It might just be a case of Updating, rather than a clean install.
Not the Anniversary release.

Either way, you will eventually get the 1607 release.

RedGab

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Yeah but in any case I'm experiencing this issues since updating. I tried doing a clean install by the option windows gives you that it's called reset your pc, it reinstalls windows and keep all your files and nothing changed.

USAFRet

Titan
If it is truly "any Steam games", then the issue is not Win 10 1607. If it were, the interwebs would have been blowing up.

I know it may be a pain, but maybe try the install option of "Keep nothing".
That is a clean install.

OK, I've identified one potential problem that has to do with slow PC, no updating, and some unreachable websites. The culprit turned out to be BitDefender. Apparently it doesn't play nice with the new updates. Solution was to disable or uninstall BitDefender. If you don't have BitDefender, you might still try temporarily disabling your aftermarket AV to check for a conflict with Windows Defender.

USAFRet

Titan

Interesting. I use BitDefender, and have seen zero issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Bitdefender installed here, not seen any of those problems. It just sits in background using 163mb of ram, not chewing on the CPU or HDD

Mum has Eset installed, almost every start up Windows Defender is running as well. Two Av at once on a 9 year old PC = no taskbar icons for about 5 minutes after start up, 100% disc activity the entire time. I haven't worked out how to fix that yet, besides buy a new PC which we will be doing in next few weeks. Tell defender not to run, next start up its running again..., it just ignores fact Eset is even running.