Transfer windows key to another system?

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I have windows 10 on my laptop, its fully activated and I got the key from a tutorial or whatever, so I was planning on building a new pc can i just use that key that I got from my laptop?, assuming its not oem how would i be able to transfer windows from my laptop to my new pc?
Thanks!

Solution

Right.
You Upgraded the original Win 8.1 to Win 10.
That has nothing to do with moving that license to a whole new...

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

USAFRet

Titan

" and I got the key from a tutorial or whatever"
Need more info on this, before recommending a way forward.
A tutorial?

Firstly, you stated you have a laptop, but didn't specify how old the laptop is (which makes a big difference) nor stating your copy of Windows came from anyplace else than the laptop maker (key or not).

Given that all devices (except self built) are sold with a OEM Edition of Windows right off, the 'key' since Windows 7 was released was first embedded in a LOCKED BIOS by many manufacturers, then when W8 release was integrated into a unaccessible part of UEFI (which replaced BIOS). With Windows 8 if you 'installed' Windows initially from ANY source (didn't matter) and ANY edition, it would read the UEFI key and only enable the editions to your specific hardware (so you bought Ultimate edition it would only setup "Home" edition). This was initially to make it easier on OEMs to just issue a generic OEM Windows (really a full edition of W8) and then leave it to the 'hardware' to 'sort things out'. Problem was this initially effected STORE (Walmart, Amazon) bought editions.

The fix eliminated this 'problem' but still would look for OEM editions to do the same thing, but any Store bought would get a 'different key' and would 'error' sometimes when doing reloads / restores of the system.

Windows 10 takes the whole thing and puts it on Microsoft's Servers. When a edition of Windows wishes to 'start up' it has to check with Microsoft on how 'legit' it is (and of course all the patches and fixes they push like your cellphone does when you turn it on). When Windows 'first' installs it take the EXACT hardware inventory (so it knows how to talk to the keyboard as compared to your wifi) and REGISTERS it with the Windows Key (either from the UEFI or from your 'Store bought' manual input when prompted) and FOREVER will say "This KEY is ONLY for THAT hardware ONLY", if I see it anyplace else BOOM - Flagged and reported as Pirated to Microsoft and on your PC, then attempts to block you from using it in various 'internal' ways. In the case of OEM editions, the UEFI goes a step further and BLOCKS Windows from loading /repairing / etc. in somecases if a 'OEM" edition other than the legit one (trying to use HP OEM on a Dell for example), and so on.

Long Story short (as we have alot of parameters that effect the outcome as I demonstrated) you have a laptop, laptop has the key 'built in', any legit copy of Windows from the OEM will work on that laptop based on the key (as I said can't 'cross' OEM) and will be 'fast easy reinstall'. If you take the drive / Windows to another PC, Windows will refuse to load / repair/ reinstall etc. because it is OEM (why you got a "different key") even if you tried to input another key.

You HAVE to know where that edition of Windows came from. You HAVE to know where the key came from. There is no 'Tutorial' edition of Windows Keys and highly suspect you have a 'hacked' one (aka pirated). While there WAS a old program from Microsoft that has long been expired (I know because many of my keys I legitimately used under it were 'expired' on me) for those Developer Editions, used solely for testing boxes and the like, and now is done in a totally different way.

So all depends on the copy of Windows you have, where the key came from etc.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

2 years old, came with windows 8
but I still don't get why it says that its a retail key?
and if it is indeed oem, is there a way to get windows for cheap? there is the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
but I don't know how much I can trust that, also g2a and stuff like that.
Is buying it full price really the only thing to do?

USAFRet

Titan

OK.
1. No G2A
2. No Reddit
3. ...what OS is on this system now?

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

right now windows 10, but can someone answer me why does it say the product key channel: RETAIL
if its oem I dont want to risk trying to use it on my new pc and then it will lock the windows on my laptop making it unusable

USAFRet

Titan

1. What, specifically, is telling you "Retail"?
2. How did this laptop get to be Win 10? Specifically.
3. Retail or OEM...you now have 2 systems and 1 OS license. That will not work.
Either the laptop or the desktop. Not both.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

1.someone suggested typing "slmgr /dlv" in cmd which then shows you your os spec and here is mine:
https://gyazo.com/d78ea08a617a64e53da82a89bc771873

2.using the free update when it was available a long time ago

To me the answer is as follows:
You bought laptop with Windows 8, which has a UEFI, and the key for Windows and the edition of Windows installed is OEM
You upgraded like everyone else to Windows 10, unless (as you alluded to) you used some PIRATE edition of Windows 10 to install over / hack your Windows 8 with the 'tutorial key' you claim. Which Fudz up your Windows 8 edition.
Your solution and only answer would be to buy a new copy of Windows 10 for your new self built computer, and migrate your data to it.
For the current laptop, then get the Windows 8 DVD that came with it / pay for from the OEM maker and reinstall clean with the legit edition (they may be nice and make it W10, but I dunno).

No matter what you will have to pay $100+ for a new edition of Windows. PCPartPicker lists a few, here is one quick search there https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wtgPxr/microsoft-os-kw900140 .

Anyone else claiming otherwise is using a pirated edition.

USAFRet

Titan

So...
The laptop came with Win 8.1.
You then Upgraded that to Win 10.

Correct?

The original OS on the laptop is/was an OEM license. Or, some weird 'tutorial' thing?
Upgrading to Win 10 does not change this.

In addition, that Upgrade to Win 10 is for "the life of that device". The laptop.
For your new shiny PC, you need to purchase a valid license.

$100? That's too much?
Sell the laptop for $150, buy a new OS for your new desktop, take someone to lunch with the leftover.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

yeah was windows 8** oem i guess, I will get a new license, but can you test that thing in cmd?
"slmgr /dlv"
like could it be wrong??

USAFRet

Titan

What happens on my PC is of no consequence for what happens with your licensing.

You started with Win 8.x OEM on the laptop.
Upgrading to Win 10 does not change that. No matter what slmgr says.

Your desktop needs its own valid OS.
Just like all the other parts in your new desktop.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
btw everyone, everything that i have is 100% legit, maybe you read the first couple of replies from wrong but the "tutorial" thing was to SHOW the key that i have on my windows (license key) I didn't pirate anything

USAFRet

Titan

When you say "and I got the key from a tutorial or whatever"...
...that's what we think.

"I followed a tutorial on how to Upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10" is one thing.
"and I got the key from a tutorial" is a whole different thing.

You see where we are coming from? Words matter.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

that is not what happened either............ I UPGRADED USING THE FREE OPTION from windows 8 to windows 10, and now after a long time I found a tutorial to get MY OWN CURRENT KEY on my laptop, thats all

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
You Upgraded the original Win 8.1 to Win 10.
That has nothing to do with moving that license to a whole new PC.

You can't. Original OEM 8.1 on the laptop = OEM Win 10.
Whatever license key that was retrieved has no bearing on what it is.

I read it exactly the way you wrote it.

Solution