Windows Anniversary (1607) Update Issues

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Two of our family laptops updated to the Anniversary update today. One of them had no issues at all, except for having to use disk cleanup to remove the Windows.old folder. The other one resulted in me having to remove a created 2nd Recovery partition, a fun time having to use CCleaner to remove the Windows.old folder (Windows wouldn't let me do it), and reinstalling touchpad drivers (Synaptics drivers disappeared). The issues that remain are 1) The Shutting Down and Restarting screens no longer show the circle animation anymore (the other laptop still has them) and 2) when waking from Sleep the lock screen is black (just the clock and system icons show...hitting any key switches to the personalized selected lockscreen image. Is this normal and if not, is there a solution? The OS seems to be working fine otherwise. Thanks.

Hi,

You should have not used ccleaner för removing the Windows.old
CCleaner is not yet compatible with Windows Anniversary ver.1607
And it is a fact.
There is only one way to do this: using the inbuilt Windows Disk cleanup
Start > type dis > in the list right click 'Disk cleanup' and chose 'Run as Administrator' > then you should be able to do a proper cleaning.

However, since You have a problem now, with one or two machines?
The first one since the 'Disk cleanup' didn't work, I am thinking that You have a serious file system problem or corrupted system files.

Start the computer in Safe mode
Because in Safe mode, very few drivers and services is loaded and none external autostart s/w and then it will free up otherwise locked system files to be checked and possible repaired.

Run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) it will check the integrity and try to repair system files
While You are at it in Safe mode:
Start > type cmd > in the list right click on the CMD.EXE and chose 'Run as Administrator' > new window > type chkdsk /f [Enter]

Btw.CCleaner is a poor s/w to use, any of these no matter what. There are no really benefits to use it, and if one uses it - make sure not to use it for registry cleaning at all! Any s/w that claims to clean the registry is full of b-s. It doesn't matter at all how many register post is unused. Not at all will it affect anything on the performance - on the other hand these reg. cleaning s/w cause more trouble.

Best regards from Sweden
[Edit] I'm sorry, the link to the guide for running sfc /scannow was faulty. It is now corrected.
[Edit 2] I added another check command.

Hi,

1) I would wait a few weeks and see if a patch fixes it unless the problems are too annoying.

2) In-Place Upgrade:
If the problems aren't resolved in a near-future patch you can do an upgrade (from W10 to W10) like this:

a) MS media creation tool (google)
b) download and run to create a USB stick or DVD (USB best) which matches your version (best to run on target PC as it should detect proper version such as W10 Home 64-bit)

c) backup Windows if possible (i.e. Acronis True Image)
d) open the media when running W10, then run the "setup.exe" file on it

e) choose to "upgrade" to the same W10 version
f) *do NOT enter a key if prompted
g) **Make sure to keep your DATA and APPLICATIONS when prompted

h) Wait for MS Updates to finish
i) Install any missing drivers or software

j) Test.
k) Remove any "OLD" version if it exists

W10 should basically end up replacing the core software again with a new version thus fixing any major issues. It's similar to a W8 to W10 Upgrade. It makes a backup, then installs W10 cleanly (AFAIK), then moves back programs/data.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

Actually, I did use the Disk Cleaner method...three times first. First it reduced the Windows.old folder down from 25GB to 1.5MB. There were some *.sys files left in there. The second and third time did nothing. After the third time the "Previous Windows Installations" options no longer showed yet Windows.old was still there and undeletable. Taking ownership and using "Unlocker" didn't work. The only solution that others with the same problem from a variety of Windows versions (the Windows.old delete problem goes back to Windows 7) was to use CCleaner...and it worked. I ran sfc /scannow before posting this and it showed no integrity violations. It says the system files are fine. The OS seems to be fine and I'm not experiencing any errors...just noticing that one laptop still shows the little circles during restart and shutdown and one doesn't (even though it does restart and shutdown). Likewise, one works with the lock screen image feature and one doesn't. Weird.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

Thanks...I'll probably have to do that. Even sfc /scannow doesn't find anything. There's a bug in the lock and shutdown/restart screens somewhere.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well...just looked on Microsoft Community. It looks like I'm not the only one with the Black Lock Screen when returning from sleep. It appears to be a common bug now. Hopefully, Microsoft will come up with a fix quickly.