Laptop wont POST after anniversary update - black screen with blinking cursor

micro80

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hi there,

Title explains my problem pretty well i think, but to elaborate:

Downloaded the anniversary update. Clicked install. It goes through the process of installing, rebooting, installing, rebooting, gets to 100%, reboots, and then stuck. It is a black screen, before the POST screen (i think, because the computer logo doesn't come up), with a blinking cursor and a blue circle. Every 30 mins or so the blinking stops and the blue circle disappears for ~30secs, then begins blinking again.

The screen will turn off after a time, ~15mins, like it does with a certain power mode setting, but moving the mouse and it comes back on again.

My first thought was to boot from USB to repair/reinstall, but i can't get to the BIOS to change boot order (as i think i have HD set as first boot device, although tried plugging in USB with no joy). Nor can i boot into safe mode to do anything.

I don't really know what to do and am looking for ideas. The only thing i can think of is to remove the internal HD, plug in an external and try and install Windows onto that. Then format my internal and start from the beginning. But i would prefer not to have to do this.

Any ideas appreciated. Cheers.

Edit: I've also noticed that opening the laptop lid now turns the computer on. So that's a changed setting, although not sure if it helps solve anything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
means its thinking but not getting very far. that is windows but wonder what its doing.

The key to get into bios is F2, start pressing it as soon as laptop starts and you should get into bios.

if you have a win 10 installer, and can get into bios, boot from it and try this

on 2nd page of installer, after the language, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this might fix the problem - will ask for logon info

micro80

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Thanks for reply. The trouble is that i couldn't get into the bios (tried F2 for like a min or so :) ). I'd turn it on and immediately black screen and cursor. However, i just took the battery and SSD out, booted to the 'no boot device found', turned off, put SSD and battery back in, booted > windows ran into a problem and needs to restart > restart > post > black screen > restart > F8 > recovery.

Which is where i am now and am going to go through the motions.

micro80

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
OK so... i tried start up repair and didn't work. Tried going into safe mode and disabling onboard graphics as thought it (hoping it...), might be a display issue but that didn't work. I tried installing over the top and leaving files intact but that seemed to just crash or hang and gave me a black screen. So i just booted from USB, formatted HD and am now installing fresh. Man, so annoying!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i been installing the new update on a 9 year old PC the last four hours, its been on 75% for about 3 hours now. I hope it works or mum will no be happy.

same update took about an hour on my PC but speed difference between this and mums isn't even close.