Upgraded PC and performed a clean install of Windows 10, and now my activation key won't work.

SovietRussia

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Is there any way to get past this or do I need to hand Microsoft another $100 for a new key?

Details: upgraded PC from an AMD build to Intel/Nvidia, so I figured I'd format both my drives and reinstall Windows. Day 1 goes fine, but Day 2 I boot up and see that wretched Activate Windows shadow in the lower right corner of my screen. Dammit... how do I get rid of it? The activation key that came with my disk isn't working.

Solution
If your copy of windows 10 was originally OEM, it is tied to the original motherboard and you need a new license.
Possibly a phone activation will work if you built the original pc yourself. MS is lenient on this. (not so much with prebuilt)
Could not hurt to try.

USAFRet

Titan

Is this the recent 1607 Anniversary release?
If so, see this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

If your copy of windows 10 was originally OEM, it is tied to the original motherboard and you need a new license.
Possibly a phone activation will work if you built the original pc yourself. MS is lenient on this. (not so much with prebuilt)
Could not hurt to try.

Solution

manv

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Your Windows 10 key is tied to your hardware so any major changes to the hardware can cause MS to think it is a different system hence prevent you from using the key you own.
Try to get help from MS themselves.
But pretty much you made yourself a new PC(except the HDD) so I don't think MS will let you use the old key.