should I buy this car?

G

I want to buy this car: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1982-ford-mustang-5-speed-review

it's a ford Mustang from 1982, I currently live in portugal, and my brother has the above car to sell, in spain. I want to know your thoughts about the car.

this car in particular, according to my brother, is a 2.3liter engine, around 100 horse power, maybe less (can't remember that right now) and if I remember correctly is a V6 engine.
the car is in good shape, the engine is pretty good, no oil on the engine, almost no rust, etc. this car already has power assisted steering, has a very peculiar light on the middle of the cockpit: a multi directional light instead of a static one like our modern cars have, cruise control. I can't remember anything else.

the car is being sold for 2500 euro, being the actual value of the car here, at portugal, where I currently live, about 8000-10.000 euro. 2500 + legalization the car should cost about 3000-3500 euro, in total.
as far as I know, the car was imported from America to Spain, and belonged to a friend of my brother, but then my brother bought that car. I don't really care if the car had 2 or 3 owners, I care about the condition of the car, and apparently is very good. as far as I know, the last owner (the friend of my brother) always visited ford to repair the car, etc. only my brother visited local mechanics, during this 6 months he has it, to change oil, filters and tires.

so, it's a good deal buying this car or not?

thanks in advance.

obs: the car is about 3 years from becoming a classic here on the country I live, so I will not have to pay taxes, the only things I have to pay is the assurance, and ofc, revision of the car at the mechanic, every 2 years.

by the way, why is the car so ugly? xd

Solution
"15 to 20 thousand euro" would be for a car in absolute showroom condition.

*I* could manage a 35 year old Mustang if I wanted, as a secondary toy vehicle. But then I also have a garage full of tools and a reasonable amount of experience.

Only you can determine if it is a good buy 'for you'.

Ralston18

Titan
Probably should not buy the car if you consider it ugly....

If you just intend to resell the car then you might make a profit provided that the car's current price, condition, taxes, etc. are all correct and accurate.

You really should make arrangements to see the car, drive it, and look over the paperwork - especially with respect to ownership.

Do not know about the laws in your area but if the car has not been legally bought and sold on its way to "you" you could lose money at best and be processed for car theft at worst.

G

yeah I am aware (in a basic way) of the process to legally buy the car. I actually like the car, I mean, I like and at the same time I dislike: has cool features for such an old car, like cruise control, the only downside of the car is that this was the uglyest model Ford ever produced xd. but well, on the country I currently live the process is simple: go to DGV > register the car to Portugal, gettin a new and a 2016 license plate, getting new papers too (meaning the old ones are useless), make assurance and it's done, the car is legal. than to buy the car it is just needed to pass by the civil registry and pick up a paper where my information where the former owner's going to sign. pay about 60 euro to the civil registry and deliver the filled paper. I find it actually pretty easy.
the car is comming this month to portugal, I might call in a mechanic to see the condition of the car, since according to the laws the seller can't refuse that and besides, the current owner is my brother xd, ofc he will let me bring a mechanic to see the car :)

but overall, forgetting the part of the car being ugly, do you think a car with less than 100HP and 3.200cc with cruise control and with almost no rust on the engine considering that it has more than 25 years, do you consider it a good buy? the car is at this moment to be my car, not to resell, I always loved classics, and this one is meant to be sold very cheap, only 2500-3500 euro while the value on market is about 8000 euro, my brother only want's some profit with the car, since the car was given to him as a gift.

Ralston18

Titan
My rule of thumb is not to buy uninspected and always contingent on a test drive. All of the specifications, whistles and bells mean nothing if there is something wrong with the vehicle.

Why the vehicle was/is being sold is a key question to address and find an answer for.

Maybe the car was in one of the recent floods somewhere - lots of cars being sold with that information being withheld.... Read up on how to identify flood damaged vehicles.

All too easy to clean an engine to make it look nice and hide the fact of a major oil or coolant leak.

Nice of your brother to make the offer and I would imagine you can trust him. But he may not know either. Inspect the car yourself, have it inspected by a known trusted mechanic and, if you are still interested in owning the car, make him a counter offer on the price. Especially if some problem (beyond cosmetics) is found. You will need money for repairs.

G

me? none, I don't understand a thing about cars except changing wheels, tires, brakes, well, small things. my father is the one with some expertise on that, but yet he also does not know a lot about car repairing. but I have a mechanic me and my father both trust, he even worked for Renault and he never let us down. I will contact him when the time comes to see the car.

I know a 1982 mustang can be a money pit, but for now my focus is keeping the car to myself, I always loved classic cars, as older they are the more I love them xd. maybe one day I sold the car, I read information about the car club (translated to EN) and a car becomes a classic when it accomplishes 30 years. currently this mustang is 34years old, if it's in good condition the car may be sold for about 15 to 20 thousand euro at the age of 40 years old, if I want to sell it, but I doubt that, I don't like to get rid of my things and probably I will use the car till the engine fails, don't know what future keeps to me ^^
I am happy with 1 thing now, I won't have to pay taxes for the car, since it's a classic. what do you think about owning a car like this? with less than 100WHP and 3.200cc with 34years old? if the parts and engine are good, would you buy it for 3500 euro (about what? 2800 or 3000 on UK), knowing it's market value is much higher, without thinking twice about it?

USAFRet

Titan
"15 to 20 thousand euro" would be for a car in absolute showroom condition.

*I* could manage a 35 year old Mustang if I wanted, as a secondary toy vehicle. But then I also have a garage full of tools and a reasonable amount of experience.

Only you can determine if it is a good buy 'for you'.

Solution

Seankay

Respectable
Jul 20, 2016
Being a vintage/old school lover I would buy this one if I was not already working on a Datsun 1200 1981!!! I chose that cause very few choose it otherwise a mustang of 1980s is love!

Ralston18

Titan
Vehicle Identifcation Number.

A unique number given to each vehicle that is used to both identify the vehicle and provide (per the link) "essential information" about the vehicle.

The VIN number is (or should be) easily visible on a metal plate on the dashboard just inside the driver side front window.

And the VIN number is also placed in other hidden or less accesible locations within the vehicle. Makes it harder for theives or unscrupulous car sellers to sell stolen vehicles or misrepresent a vehicle., E.g., the VIN can be used to determint that what appears to be a "new" car may have actually been in an accident somewhere.

Not a perfect sysem by any means but always a good idea to research and check VINs. Learn where the VINs areplaced on any given vehicle so you can verify that are are the same. If a seller will not let you check or the numbers are missing/altered - walk away.

Overall used to identify stolen vehicles, track maintenance, accidents etc.