How to restore windows 10 to an earlier date.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hi,

I have some questions. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to use Macrium reflect software for windows 10 home The software is the free version version 6 and I do not want to use windows system restore because it uses too much resources in my opinion and I found out that I cannot just create 1 sstem restore and then turn it off system restore and then, if let's say I cannot boot into windows 10 and I have to boot from media to the troubleshooting saection and use system restore it does not let me restore the operating system to an earlier date. I forget what the exact message is that I get it just does not allow me to restore to an earlier time. So I'm wondering how to use Macrium reflect software v6 to restore my system to an eaqrlier date and time. If I cannot boot into windows 10 I want to to see a usab stick on boot to be able to restore windows 10. have a usb stick plugged into my fron't usb right now. and on the usb stick are a boot folder a drivers folder a efi folder a souces folder a bootmgfw.efi it's a piece of paper. bootmgr, piece of paper. Boot mgr.efi piece of paper.pe version version x64 all pices of paper icons. So when I boot using the usb flash drive I hit f12 and I choose the usb stick and it brings me to the macrium reflect software but I do not know how to proceed from there. I'm not having a problem right now. I want to do this now in case in the long run I havean issue and I cannot boot into windows. so I will not loos any of my data or anything Like that. So I'm not sure what buttons to click on when I boot with the usb stick and it load the software. I would just like to make sure that it's going to work now before anything happens so I have some piece of mind.

thanks

Kinny

USAFRet

Titan
I use Macrium Reflect daily.

How to?
This requires significant drive space, depending on what, exactly, you want to do.

My system does a full image of the C drive every night at 2 AM.
Keep for 2 weeks, deleting the oldest.
This goes to a whole other drive.

So then you create a Macrium Reflect Resche CD.
In need, boot from that, select which image you wish to restore, choose a target drive, and Go.

Bottom line...if you wish to go back to an earlier date, you need an image from that date.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Okay

so I think when I first use the Macrium software I think I want to select image the drive and not clone the drive and then it will save the image. I want to image the Samsung 850 pro 128 gig ssd. That is the drive that has Windows 10 on it And I will be using a usb stick and then what I would want to do is restart the computer with teub stick plugged in adon boot hit f12 ad choose the usb stick and then have the Macrium load and then once it loads choose browse for an image or backup file to restore and then that's it right once it's done with that, I should be able to get back into windows right?. Remember I would do all of this if I get an error or something Like a black screen on boot and I (Cannot) get into windows. Or would I choose the option to fix windows boot problems? Also is there a way so that I can set the software to just create this one Image with a date and time and just have it use this one Image with the date and time and not have the software periodiclly be creating different date and time restore points I only need the one..?

Thanks

Kinny

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Okay

so I think when I first use the Macrium software I think I want to select image the drive and not clone the drive and then it will save the image. I want to image the Samsung 850 pro 128 gig ssd. That is the drive that has Windows 10 on it And I will be using a usb stick and then what I would want to do is restart the computer with teub stick plugged in adon boot hit f12 ad choose the usb stick and then have the Macrium load and then once it loads choose browse for an image or backup file to restore and then that's it right once it's done with that, I should be able to get back into windows right?. Remember I would do all of this if I get an error or something Like a black screen on boot and I (Cannot) get into windows. Or would I choose the option to fix windows boot problems? Also is there a way so that I can set the software to just create this one Image with a date and time and just have it use this one Image with the date and time and not have the software periodiclly be creating different date and time restore points I only need the one..?

Thanks

Kinny

USAFRet

Titan
The Macrium Reflect makes an image of the entire used space.
For instance...my current C drive is ~126GB used space.
The nightly Macrium Reflect takes about 94GB each. A little bit of compression, leaving off the pagefile, etc.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

USAFRet

Titan
With Macrium Reflect:
You create an Image, or series of images.
You also create a Rescue CD or USB.

When you need, you boot from that CD or USB.
Select the Image you wish to resore
Select a drive to resote to.

Go.

It will put that Image on that drive, wiping out everything currently existing on that drive.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Okay so let's say I create a backup image today and In a week or so I have an issue and I cannot get into windows this software will restore the image that was created today giving me back this operating system today and all the software still in tact wothout needing to reinstall the software but any new change from now until a week later will not be restored tisnce I only want this software to create only 1 restore point instead of Mutiple right? And I would select the image drive and not the clone correct?

Thank you.

I'm sorry. I have autism and I'm kind of slow~

USAFRet

Titan
Correct.
Create an Image today.
Over then next few days, you make changes to your system.
Bad things happen, and you need to restore from that backup.
It will contain only what was there when you made the image.

The system will be exactly how it was at the moment you made the backup.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Okay I understand all of what you said. But is there a difference between what we have talked about between creating the disk image and doing a rescue cd or usb I don't know what the difference is or is there really no difference. I mean the disk image basiclly rescues your Operating system back to normal and so would the resue cd or usb. In this case I would be using the usb. Or would I have to do an extra step and also create the rescue usb alos, in order for the restoring of the disk image to work? I should try this right now and actaully retsore the image I'm about to create just to give me that piece of Mind in knowing that it will work.

Thank you!

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I'm going to try and do the restore right now. I'm not having any issues but I want to make sure that it's going to work if I do. And I can't know that Unless I try this.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly.
A backup plan is only as good as the last time you tested it.
I've done so with that exact software, and it works.

But nothing like seeing it for yourself.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
That's Great because someone on here said a while back that if I created a windows syrestore point using windows system restore and then I turned off windows system restore. That it would not matter weather system restore was turned off as long as that system restore point that you just created was not deleted, that I would still be able to pop in windows media and go to the troublkeshooting section and run windows restore and winows would still grab if you will that restore point and restore the computer back to that date and time and it does not, the opearting system can see that system restore is turned off. Cause I tried it earlier today and it did not work.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

I totally agree I have been looking for something Like this for a while cause Like after a year or so. And it could be my fault from the tweaking that I do and truning off of windows services but I end up having to restore because I don't Like using windows system restore. so I have nothing else except to do the format and restore. I just had to restore because for some reason and this might be a wierd problem but I uninstalled Google Chrome to reinstall it ans when I got back into windows I did have any icons in my network and sharing I could not get into change adapter settings nothing so I kind of freaked so I went into the services and I noticed that the network connections entry was not started and when I clicked on automatic and I click on started it gave mme a 1068 error this service failed to start or something like that so I did not know what to do so I restored. But this software will take the computer back. And I have some information on that that I printed out that has a fix for it that I will try if it ever does happen again.

Thank you!

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Hi, I'm having a problem when I boot from the usb stick just before I get into windows it says missing boot manager. Now that's if I hit f12 and make the usb stick the first drive. If I go into the bios and make the Usb stick the first boot device it will say no operating saystem found. I won't restore my computer back to the image that is on the usb stick. Type of file is Disk Partition image (.mrimg)I can't restore it in windows so I'm not sure what to do.

Kinnyr900

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Hi, I'm having a problem when I boot from the usb stick just before I get into windows it says missing boot manager. Now that's if I hit f12 and make the usb stick the first drive. If I go into the bios and make the Usb stick the first boot device it will say no operating saystem found. I won't restore my computer back to the image that is on the usb stick. Type of file is Disk Partition image (.mrimg)I can't restore it in windows so I'm not sure what to do.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
You don't boot from that .mrimg.
You create a bootable Macrium Rescue USB or DVD. You boot from that, and then tell it where the actual image file (.mrimg) is.