Computer is extremely slow while downloading.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Hello,

I cannot guarantee that this issue is related to windows 10, but it is a really big problem which is making me lose my mind.

I am have huge issues when it comes to downloading things - particularly larger things (Eg: video games ranging from 20gb-60gb.) I have attempted to download an MMO 10 times all with no success - I have tried to download it to my SSD and HDD. Not only does my computer go very, very slow, it becomes unresponsive and goes to a black screen - leaving me no option but to power down. It normally happens at really specific points - 85% being the most frequent where the computer slowly dies out. I just can't figure out what this thing is - I get an "error 11" with a certain game which relates to graphics drivers - but all mine are up to date etc.

Intel i5-4690, GTX 970, 500gb samsung evo + 1tb seagate HDD, 8gb generic ddr3 ram and z-97 msi motherboard, cx600w corsair psu

I've also tried to edit the paging file size (Changing from automatic to the system reccommended, 8192gb - 1911gb.)

I have also done 3 full scans with mcafee - I am 99% sure this isn't a virus.

Solution
I would set your pagefile back to systems managed size if you haven't already and run memtest. Was thinking you might have a memory leak.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Also, might be worth noting that during downloads I get big spikes in CPU, Memory and disk usage (Sometimes they all go up to 99% and things start to slow down)

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

I have tried twice to download to my HDD, things seemed slightly smoother but my PC still ended up black screening. Task manager shows that memory, cpu and disk are all in high use (Ranges from 20% - 99% during different stages of the download.) CPU Temps seem fairly normal, 35C-50C.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

No, I have tried internet downloads and steam downloads only (Small downloads don't give any issues it seems)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Steam servers generally too slow to overwhelm my PC, most of the data is stored in ram before put on the storage drives

look in event viewer at around time PC is shut down and see what windows is reporting. Turning off unexpectedly isn't what windows does, it normally throws errors at you.

Fatal error 11, is that ESO? it is only game I found with that error number. Its been reporting same error for 2 years or so.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Yeah, it's ESO. I've been trying to download it outside of steam, still the issue persists.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

System and compressed memory seems to be the highest, but it isn't always.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
When trying to open task manager just before the crash, it says something about not being able to open due to lack of system recourses.

ESO seems to be by far the worst to download, crashing seems to be rare outside of ESO, but still my computer slows down.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should set page file back to automatic, lack of resources means you running out of ram essentially.

System & Compressed memory is your page file, or should I say, it is the service that controls ram allocation It controls how the ram + page file work together to keep PC working.

was this an upgrade or a fresh install of win 10?

ESO has 35gb patches, I not surprised its the worst

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Memory tests haven't turned out with any errors.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

It was an upgrade from windows 7, it has only just occured and I have no clue what set it off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
downloading games shouldn't eat your ram, BadActor is right about it probably being a memory leak

Try running https://www.malwarebytes.com/ and see if its malware instead of a virus causing it.

have you got latest drivers for motherboard?

Go to Start menu > Settings app and then open System > Notifications & Actions. Deselect the option "Show me tips about Windows" and reboot the computer.

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Malware scan shows no threats.

I can't find my motherboard drivers in device manager, is there something missing? Here's a screenshot: http://prntscr.com/c35393

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
I am having no problems at all applying patches, and, hopefully I'm not speaking too soon here, but the download is progressing without issue... Almost at the unholy 85% mark though...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mothewrboard drivers aren't that obvious, though some of those headings do cover them... there is an easier way.

You best go to MSI web site that matches your model number and look for a utility called Live Update 6 and it will download the drivers you need, if there are any. I would find it for you but there are various Z97 motherboards from MSI, do you have a Gaming 5 or 7?

TheHadrian

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

I have a gaming 5