Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login

grimakis

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Hi,

I've got a serious issue. My newly built computer has been having issues since about day 3. First, let me list off relevant hardware and software.

MoBo: ASUS Z170-A
CPU: Intel 6600k i5
GPU: MSI 1070 GTX
RAM: 32GB DDR4
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
1.5TB HDD
650w PSU

Relevant Software:
Windows 10 Pro
Webroot SecureAnywhere
Paragon HFS+
Macrium Reflect(with 2 jobs scheduled for startup)
Steam / games
Battle.net / games

Basically, it started when I tried to install VirtualBox. On next startup, Black Screen w/ Cursor after login. Safe Mode, Windows Explorer just goes Not Responding. I restored from an image. A few days go by, I try virtualbox again, same thing. So I give up on VirtualBox. Next I am having an issue with my "Rear Speaker" port on MoBo. I figure maybe the RealTek Audio drivers need an update. I go and download ASUS update for them, install, and problem surfaces again. Restore. Now I create a new user account. I go to my main account and do a chipset update. computer freezes during installation, and Black Screen reoccurs.

Here's the kicker. I login to my new 2nd account, and no problems. I successfully updated the Intel Chipset Driver from my second account.

Any ideas whats wrong here? I'm considering a clean install of Windows. I just want to rule out any Hardware issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Black screen with cursor after logon can mean a device is not responding, try d/c all your extra USB and/or speakers from PC and see if it still does same thing. I would try speakers first as I have had exact same problem with a set of 5.1 speakers that were dying on me this year and causing explorer to not respond on start up after logon. Thing is was sometimes it booted right away and speakers never showed any sign they were the cause. they worked fine, it took me months to work out they were the reason PC didn't start properly. It was when they started to not work through all channels I started to wake up to them being on way out.

When PC does this, is it really slow to point of not shutting down at all when you try to use restart? I found I had to manually restart PC to get it to load correctly.

Microsoft also suggest a clean boot to see if its something loading at start up.

Does logging into 2nd account fix both start up & sound as that is just odd if it does.

grimakis

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

Yes, when this happens, shutting down/restarting is very slow.

I will test the audio theory, as well as the USB devices. However since the issue appears only on one user, I am kind of leaning toward the idea that something is wrong with a startup service. I will report back here with various results of my tests. I will also try to update the audio drivers from my second account, because it would never work from my first account.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The black screen could be unrelated to the driver installs so since all users share drivers, the 3rd one you set up has the two other drivers installed already and now if you use user 1 it should work properly.

I did this last year, at same time my speakers started causing this problem, i had replaced a graphics card and got a 4k monitor, so for about a month I blamed them for what the speakers were doing. It was only after I fresh installed win 10 (to fix problem, i figured it was drivers), and had moved PC out of reach of speakers and it worked fine while not connected to them, yet as soon as I did connect them the black screen at start up and slow load thing happened, that it clicked where my problem actually was. And I was sad as same speakers had been part of my set up for 14 or more years

grimakis

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

Hi Colif,

Unfortunately the speakers were not the issue. The prevailing theory at the moment was something corrupted in my User Account and/or startup data.

I simply deleted my account and recreated it. No issues since then. I am able to update drivers without crashing, and no black screens. Also my speakers are brand new, and this issue predates my buying them a few days ago.

I think my audio problem was a red herring. You see I connected my speakers to the jack labelled "Rear Speakers" however I'm beginning to think that is maybe a Digital Out jack, which would explain the no sound on my analog input speakers.