Ethernet Adaptor stopped detecting cables. (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller)

BattleSpice

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Yesterday, I used the ethernet and it was no problem, everything was working fine but this wasn't the case this morning. After a Win10 update, my ethernet doesn't detect any cables I use. I know 100% that the cable is working because I used it in a Mac just a few hours ago, the device can't be busted because it still shows up in BIOS and the Network/Sharing Center.

I ran a Realtek Diagnostic and here are the results:

Register: Pass
MAC Loopback: Fail
PHY Loopback: Fail
IRQ: Fail
FIFO: Fail

I've tried everything I can, rolled back the update, use a different cable, uninstall/reinstall drivers etc and nothing at all has come out of it. The ethernet port in my PC will not work.

Please help!

Solution
Is there a yellow exclamation point or red X in the Network section of the device manager?

I have seen drivers get partially installed with the upgrade, and they are listed as such in the Security and Maintenance section of the Action Center. If I remember correctly, in the maintenance section, you have to click on them to finish the installation.

The latest driver for your LAN on the ASUS website is 10.2.703.2015. Maybe what you have with some number transpositions. Might download it and copy it over by Flash Drive. Then after uninstalling the present driver, instead of windows automatically looking for the best driver, point it to the one you copied over. If that doesn't work, uninstall the network adapter, then let Windows choose...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, and welcome to the Windows 10 Update mess,

Please give us the make/model # and age of the MB you are using, and if you updated the network driver from the MB web site prior to upgrading. Not mandatory, but did you go from Win 7 SP1 or Win8.1 to Win-10 1607 Anniversary?

Would guess you need an updated Win-10 driver if this happened just after you upgraded. Take a look in the Device Manager, and see if there is a yellow exclamation point in front of the Network adapter or a Red X icon that says it is not working.. From there uninstall the network adapter, and then scan for new hardware. It may install a Win-10 compatible driver.

You could also go to Safe Mode (get there from Settings\Update and Recovery\Choose an Option\Troubleshoot \ Advanced Options). Try booting in safe mode with networking to see if you can get on the internet to download a Win-10 network driver from the MB web site.

Also you could use another computer, and download and save the Win-10 realtek driver from the MB website, to a USB flash drive, then move it into your Downloads folder and run it from there to install the updated driver.

BattleSpice

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Thanks for the reply

My motherboard is an ASUS H81m-PLUS.

I have tried the Realtek Win10 drivers, the ASUS default Mobo drivers, installing over the drivers, using fresh installs, reverting back to my older version of Windows 10 and nothing has worked

BattleSpice

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Also, my ethernet event properties menu is coming up with this message:

Device PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_85541043&REV_0C\4&33ce3517&0&00E2 requires further installation.

Maybe something is conflicting with the driver? Maybe it isn't installed properly? I'm really at a loss.:??:

EDIT: Driver version is 10.3.723.2015

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Is there a yellow exclamation point or red X in the Network section of the device manager?

I have seen drivers get partially installed with the upgrade, and they are listed as such in the Security and Maintenance section of the Action Center. If I remember correctly, in the maintenance section, you have to click on them to finish the installation.

The latest driver for your LAN on the ASUS website is 10.2.703.2015. Maybe what you have with some number transpositions. Might download it and copy it over by Flash Drive. Then after uninstalling the present driver, instead of windows automatically looking for the best driver, point it to the one you copied over. If that doesn't work, uninstall the network adapter, then let Windows choose a standard driver for it, temporarily.

Also here is a thread from Tom's Hardware last Aug 2015 with the same problem and how it was solved. Take a look to see if that is helpful

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2748796/realtek-ethernet-lan-card-stopped-working-upgrade-windows.html

Solution

vicdeth13

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Try this (it worked for me)...

After updating to the latest stable driver available for your OS platform, just *pull the plug* on your machine! Literally, just pull-the-plug while the machine is running...no power...machine dies! Bring it back to life (reboot), start your OS...hopefully the LEDs should start blinking again for good :)

Gregory R

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I don't know whether this answers your problem, but here goes.
I had a situation where the Realtek PCIe GBE controller (on-board AX-88MA Asus Motherboard) was recognized by the BIOS and the Device Manager but was not recognized by Windows 10 as a network device. Checking the properties Device Manager reported that it was functioning normally (which of course it wasn't). Updating the driver typically resulted in a message that the device may be in 'Deep Sleep' whatever that is.
I tried all the remedies suggested on this and other sites (with the exception of re-installing Windows), none of which worked. I finally tracked the problem down to Hyper-V. uninstalling Hyper-V solved the problem. As I have been running Hyper-V since I installed Windows 10 without a problem it must be related to either an Update or a conflict that has only just arisen. I'll need to track the issue.
But the bottom line is removing Hyper-V solved the problem for me.

TRENDING THREADS