A way to automatically segregate files when dropped/saved on desktop by format to different folders in a different drive?

jademan09

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Eugh. That's the most specific topic title I have ever written.

But anyway, I was wondering if there's such a program. I work on audio quite alot and I spend hours upon hours just organizing everything into their respective folders. I thought it quite obstructive in my workflow. I would just save whatever I'm working on manually but I have to trudge through different folders just to find the right one. I find saving my work on the desktop far more easier to do. Much worse is that my SSD is filling up really fast no thanks to my enormous library of instruments and softwares for working with audio.

So here I am, wondering if there's such a program or a way to automatically move whatever you drop or save on the desktop and segregate them to different folders according to their file format. Example: Any or all mp3s dropped or save onto the desktop will be automatically moved to a folder specifically meant for .mp3s in my HDD. Same with any other file format save for folders. Basically, anything that's on the desktop that isn't a folder or a shortcut gets moved.

I've been tracking for a software like this for days now and can only find ones that lets you actively use a software like dropit, quickmove, or files 2 folder.

Thanks for being patient with me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :c

Solution

grimakis

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

You can actually move your entire desktop to the HDD. So, while no this isn't exactly what you are asking for, it will allow you to save to the Desktop without filling up the SSD.

Barring that, i'm absolutely certain that you could write a script that does what you ask. Maybe something in Windows powershell, but to be honest a DOS script might suffice. Basically the batch file would be something like:

move c:\users\jademan09\desktop\*.mp3 e:\destinationFolder

EDIT: How to move desktop/documents folder link below
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-change-location-folders-such-documents-or-downloads

Solution

jademan09

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016

Wrote a bunch of formats, filled in the gaps, now and everything's organized! Man, never have I seen my desktop so clean before, haha!

But is there a way to make the batch execute each time a file is dropped/saved onto the desktop?

grimakis

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748841%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Maybe? You can schedule to run every so often. Maybe even you can create a trigger? I'm not really sure.

MikeCodeLine

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
"But is there a way to make the batch execute each time a file is dropped/saved onto the desktop?"

Hi, if you activate the "Automation Plugin" then as soon as a file lands on your Desktop, it will be handed to the QuickMove Rule Engine for moving if it matches a rule you set up.
Regards, Mike
CodeLine