Problems installing Windows onto SSD

oats9551

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Recently, helped my girlfriend buy a load of parts for PC, put it together with minimal hassle but now I'm having problems with installing Windows OS onto the SSD.

I used the Windows 10 Media creation tool on a USB, which worked fine with no problems. I started up the new PC went into boot options and put the USB on priority, it loaded fine and I went through the setup and arrived at 'custom or advanced' now, I selected custom and had two options, Disk/ Partition 0 (1TB Hard drive) and Disk/Partition 1 (120GB SSD) I selected the SSD, and clicked new it created 4 different partition, I thought this was unusual but I wasn't really worried once i seen it, I clicked on the bottom one, the SSD with the most GB left and installed Windows. It went through all of the sections and my PC rebooted, once the PC rebooted I went into boot options and selected the SSD (where I assumed I put windows) but all it did was black screen, I tried this again and it prompted the message (Reboot and select proper boot device)

This has left me confused, I feel like the SSD has windows on it and I don't want to go through the process again cause I feel like somehow I'll be installing Windows twice.

Sorry If I've used some of the wrong terminology, still novice when it comes to computing.

TL;DR: Tried to install Windows onto SSD, completed this, booted up PC from SSD expecting windows to load but got 'reboot and select proper boot device'

Solution
How about we start again

(d/c power from PC first) remove hdd you don't want to use or at least, dc its data so win 10 won't try to use it
boot from installer, follow this http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
at stage 13, delete all the partitions and then click next once only unallocated space remains, win 10 will work it out from there. You may have chosen the wrong partition to install onto
win 10 will install itself on the right partition
once its installed and boots correctly, turn PC off power and reconnect hdd

your choice should have worked though:

Windows Setup will automatically create the 4 partitions below on the drive, and install Windows 10 on the primary partition.
Partition 1 -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
How about we start again

(d/c power from PC first) remove hdd you don't want to use or at least, dc its data so win 10 won't try to use it
boot from installer, follow this http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
at stage 13, delete all the partitions and then click next once only unallocated space remains, win 10 will work it out from there. You may have chosen the wrong partition to install onto
win 10 will install itself on the right partition
once its installed and boots correctly, turn PC off power and reconnect hdd

your choice should have worked though:

Windows Setup will automatically create the 4 partitions below on the drive, and install Windows 10 on the primary partition.
Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

Is the 1tb drive new? has it ever had windows on it?

Solution