Can i put more files on my bootable windows 10 flash drive?

runnaky

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
When i make a bootable usb for Windows 10,can i put folders and just some other files i need on it or the entire usb has to be dedicated for the windows installation to work properly?

Solution
You most definitely can put additional files on the USB stick.

I've done quite a few Windows 10 installs on new builds this past month. Each time, I downloaded the latest drivers, BIOS', and software to go on the new system. After I was done installing Windows, I copied the contents of the folder I placed on the Windows USB key where I had stored the stuff I mentioned.
You most definitely can put additional files on the USB stick.

I've done quite a few Windows 10 installs on new builds this past month. Each time, I downloaded the latest drivers, BIOS', and software to go on the new system. After I was done installing Windows, I copied the contents of the folder I placed on the Windows USB key where I had stored the stuff I mentioned.

Solution
Yes.

I recommend a tool called Nlite for adding in drivers or anything you would like automatically added in to your windows install:
http://www.askvg.com/download-nlite-for-windows-7-windows-8-and-windows-8-1/

You can always mount the ISO, add files and then create a new ISO, but Nlite is much slicker and you can have it actually copy the folder to the computer for you.

I never slipstream any of the drivers into the Windows install. I just put them in a folder on the USB stick and copy them over once Windows is installed.

Slipstreaming saves time if you are installing Windows on many computers. Although in this instance if the computers have all the same hardware, imaging is a better option anyway. It doesn't save any time to do this for one computer, even if you re-install at a later date. Any time I do a clean install of Windows I look for the latest drivers, therefore any time I used slipstreaming drivers would be wasted.

astrofix

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

it f...ks my instalation every time, so my answer is no! but, clearly, it depends on sth