Beginner PC Gamer Requesting Assitance With Graphics Card Upgrade

l2ecogniize

Honorable
Apr 20, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card which is currently a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB - EVGA Superclocked - Single Card into a possibly a NVIDIA 1060. My current motherboard is a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus-- 5x PCI-E x16, and 6x SATA 6Gb/s.

I'm just not too knowledgeable as to which graphic cards Nvidia brand I should be looking for as to EVGA, ASUS, MSI, etc.... The graphics card doesn't necessarily doesn't have to be a Nvidia 1060, I'm just not willing to spend any more than around $400 for a video card. I would greatly appreciate it, if it's possible if someone would kindly help me out with the best graphics card for me and link the card so I may purchase it. It would be great if its on Amazon as I have Amazon Prime, but that's not too important.

I play mainly League of Legends, Diablo 3, and Overwatch atm but plan on playing Battlefield 1 on my PC and possibly some future titles that may require a good graphics card to play without issues.

My current processor cooling is Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System - Standard 120mm Fan.

My monitor is a standard Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor which is use to connect to my graphics card via a DVI cable.

If you need any other information about my PC please do let me know.

frank_hnd

Honorable
Honestly, I wouldn't consider upgrading my GPU to a 1060 if I had yours... if it was at least a 1070 then the upgrade would be worthwhile.
you can try overclocking your GTX780 to 1200mhz or anything close to that and get a nice performance boost. are you really that unsatisfied with your gaming experience?

and to answer your question, I would purchase this 1060: https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-STRIX-Ready-Graphic-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING/dp/B01IPVSN1S

I already ordered the 1070 version of that one. Asus has nice temps, nice OC, nice power delivery and RGB lighting that fits any color theme.

l2ecogniize

Honorable
Apr 20, 2014

That's the unfortunate thing, I have no knowledge about super clocking and what not coming from a Console Pleb that just turned to PC gaming 3 years ago, but thank you for linking the graphics card I'll certainly look into purchasing this.

frank_hnd

Honorable
is it not very complicated, tomshardware has a guide for it: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html

I recommend trying it before actually purchasing a new card, you will learn something new and might end up saving your money for a while.

basically all you need is MSI Afterburning or EVGA Precision to overclock your card and then a GPU stress test program like Heaven/Valley to test for stability.