Which port do I use?

ryce4lyfe

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
So I've started my first pc build. This might be a stupid question but please help a noob out. When connecting my pc to the monitor via displayport, do I connect the cable to the displayport on the motherboard or to the displayport on the graphics card? And as I'm still waiting for the MSI GTX 1060 to restock, I will be using the integrated graphics on my Intel i5-6500. So to use integrated graphics would I plug the displayport cable to the displayport on the mobo? Again, might be a dumb question but I just need a clear answer. Thanks in advance!

Solution
If the motherboard has on board video ports and a DP.

Connect your monitor to that Ryce.

When you get the GTX 1060 card, before you put it in go into the bios of the motherboard then find the section of it that deals with what graphics card interface to initialise first for video output.

Set it to Pci-e or Peg mode.

Save the changes before you exit the bios, then power your system completely off.
Then put your GTX 1060 card in the Pci-e card slot of the motherboard, making sure you connect the Pci-e 12v power feed direct from the Psu in your system to the GTX 1060 card.

Then connect the video cable for the monitor to the video output ports of the GTX 1060 card.
And power your system on.

I thought I would type this for when you get...
If the motherboard has on board video ports and a DP.

Connect your monitor to that Ryce.

When you get the GTX 1060 card, before you put it in go into the bios of the motherboard then find the section of it that deals with what graphics card interface to initialise first for video output.

Set it to Pci-e or Peg mode.

Save the changes before you exit the bios, then power your system completely off.
Then put your GTX 1060 card in the Pci-e card slot of the motherboard, making sure you connect the Pci-e 12v power feed direct from the Psu in your system to the GTX 1060 card.

Then connect the video cable for the monitor to the video output ports of the GTX 1060 card.
And power your system on.

I thought I would type this for when you get your new GTX Pci-e 1060 card ryce.

Solution

ryce4lyfe

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

You completely cleared everything up dude. Thanks for all the help!