Used 980ti ref or new 1060 non-ref? Same price almost

James_deen

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Hi, fellows!

I have doubts which way to go. Please help.

I can buy used Asus GTX 980ti reference design card with 1 month warranty for 380 USD. New ones are 150 USD more, the same for new GTX 1070. Can't afford that price now.

And second choice is a new Gigabyte 2-fan Gtx 1060 Gaming card for 360 USD, with three years warranty.

My other specs are: i7 4790, 16Gb ram, 1080p monitor, not going with any 2k/4K in foreseen future.

What to choose and why? Thanx.

frank_hnd

Honorable
GTX 980Ti every single time....
you will murder every game @1080p and the card won't have to run full load all the time so it won't heat up as much.

there are also way more aftermarket cooling options and even SLI possibility for future adventures...
graphic cards usually last a long time and having no issues at installation (assured by the 1month warranty) is key. after that is just pure bad luck.

the 1060 is a great card but won't max out all the games and even worst when new games come out.

The GTX 980 Ti is definitely faster than the GTX 1060. But here is my question, what is your power supply's manufacturer and model #? Your answer to this question may answer your question for you. Also, what is the model of your computer case? For instance, if you have a ITX case, then you may want top opt for the lesser heat producing GTX 1060.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

GET the GTX 980 Ti ...

and tell me your power supply model please .

James_deen

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Thanx for prompt advices! My power supply is Aerocool XStrike 800W. I previously used r9 280x that's quite hungry card)) So I believe I would have no power issues. My case is some old mid tower Acer case, nothing special, with only one intake cooler. Usually it's open case. No need to change the case, it's always hidden under my my desk.

So despite warranty and new architecture of Gtx 1060 you recommend to go with used 980ti reference cooler?

One new option available. What if to get used MSI Gtx 970 Gaming still with 2 years warranty for 280 USD? But I can spend 380 on GTX 980ti, just asking your opinion.

TRENDING THREADS