PC crashes when gaming

kimos32

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Alright, I've recently bought a Zotac GTX-960 4GB GPU and a 500W Aerocool PSU, but whenever I play games on high settings, like Rainbow Six: Siege, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, and WarThunder, my PC crashes for no reason, screen just goes black and I can do nothing. I have to turn off the PC and turn it on again. I've read similar problems and made sure that all of my cores are not parked. It still crashes but this time it automatically restarts the PC.

My PC specs are:

Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30GHz
6.00 GB RAM
64-bit operating system / Windows 10
Standard Dell motherboard
500W PSU
GTX-960 4GB

PS : I don't think it's due to overheating

Oaklandmurphy

Respectable
Jun 1, 2016
My bet is on your power supply. Aerocool is not really a reputable company so that psu is probably not able to output enough constant power to keep your pc going while using resource-heavy tasks like games and will cause the pc to crash and force a hard reset. I have had this problem in the past and the only solution is to get a better power supply from a more reputable company like EVGA, Seasonic, XFX, Corsiar, Antec etc.

kimos32

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Mine is a KCAS, the dealer said that it's much more capable than the EVGA of the same class.

Oaklandmurphy

Respectable
Jun 1, 2016

The Kcas line is definitely a budget line and is a tier 4 psu. You are right about the EVGA thing though, on the low end, some of EVGA's units are not so good and KCAS is just marginally better. I was just giving examples of brands with a better reputation and wasn't suggesting any particular units. I still think the error is in the power supply just because your symptoms match the description of a weak power supply perfectly.

kimos32

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

But isn't 500w enough ?
Buying a new PSU isn't an option, is there anything else I can do ?