Is i7 the cream of the crop

InvalidError

Titan
Depends for what. In absolute terms, no, there are multi-socket Xeons which can achieve much higher aggregate system performance if you can afford ~$7000 per CPU and 4-8 CPUs per system node on a similarly pricey motherboard.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes, in terms of the Skylake die that intel uses to mass produce its consumer chips, the i7 is the best of those chips. Now theres another die however, for Broadwell which all the consumer chips from that are all called "i7" and are of varying levels of performance depending on how they come out.

G

Bump.

Well not talking about Xeon i7 would be the best... Right?

Can you put multi i7 in any board at all... Whatsoever

I'm only talking about one PC so only one node...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes to your first question.

And no to the second question, there is no multi i7.

G

So no way to get multi i7 on a board?

Rouge Leader question for you... what do you use your Server PC for. So I can get a better idea of the specs like the Xeon and all

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No, and there is no reason to. i7's are a consumer processor there are no consumer applications, games, etc that would ever even utilize a multi cpu setup.

Multi CPU is reserved for where it is useful, with Xeon processors in a server, rendering box, or other business environment.

My server PC has 4TB in RAID storage, all the computers in my home back up to it automatically (my pc, wifes pc, wifes laptop), my cellphone also automatically backs up all my pics and stuff to it, it downloads windows updates and hosts them for the other computers on the network (since its always running), we have a shared drive folder on there where we share pics, music, etc which I can access from our TV's and SONOS boxes to play music or watch movies or view pics, or just share them between our computers. And I have a VPN tunnel set up so our parents can store data on it they want to share with us (pics etc) or store files offsite for safe keeping. When its not being used it runs Folding@home all day which uses the Xeon processor to do medical research, and finally I use Remote desktop on it to be able to look at windows remotely if I'm answering a question and I need the visual, download stuff I need for later, or remotely access my wife's or mother's PC's securely to troubleshoot them. I use Remote desktop on my cellphone so I can access the server from anywhere.

Forgot to mention, its on a server rack in a closet with a 2U battery backup as well so its always running and protected, it has no monitor or keyboard so I can only access through Remote Desktop or on any computer in my internal home network through an always running web interface called IPMI which I can use to monitor temps, turn on, turn off, reboot, I even installed Windows on it through it.

G

Cause ya don't need a Xeon for the backup part of it but for the Folding part which could be done with a less overkill CPU.

People still render and video edit and the whole nine yard with a i7 so it having ECC and multi CPU could be useful... It is classified as a consumer one but doesn't need to be.

InvalidError

Titan

Multi-socket is not supported at all on LGA11xx platforms. The LGA2011(-v3) i7 are basically Xeon E5-1xxx chips which have no multi-socket support either. If you want multi-CPU, you have to step up to the Xeon E5-2xxx series and dual-socket LGA2011 boards start around $500 with the cheapest CPU being a hex-core non-HT 1.7GHz affair for $200 which will get destroyed in most mainstream software by a 4GHz i7-6700. If you want a Xeon which may have a chance of going toe-to-toe against the regular i7 in lightly threaded mainstream software, you have to step up to the 3.4GHz $1500 E5-2643v4.

Even after spending $4000 on a dual E5-2643v4, a dual-socket motherboard for it, the RAM and other support components, there will still be cases where the plain i7-6700 ($500 for CPU+MoBo+RAM kit) will beat it.

Going super-high-end makes no sense if your workload is not compatible with the computer's architecture.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Don't really need the Xeon for hosting files no. But however for hosting files while folding while I am accessing the remote desktop, while its downloading updates, and taking a backup from one of the computers, the Xeon can be helpful. I could have went less overkill, but I wanted to use the server board and all its features as well as ECC for it.

People do render with an i7, however the Xeon starts at i7 level (for example my Xeon E3-1231v3 is basically an i7-4770 without the internal GPU) and go up from there.

Its different markets there is no reason for Intel to make an i7 that can do that, thats what Xeon is for, it would be an overlap in the product line and conuterintuitive to sales. i7 does not support ECC memory. If someone needs that kind of performance, and memory they buy a Xeon based system instead of i7, its that simple. They are completely different tools, and in many cases (gaming, normal user apps) the fastest i7 will be faster than the Xeon for way less money. The Xeon is made for instances that need multiple cores such as encoding and rendering, or virtualization. Things that a normal home user does not need.

G

See i7 is great for heavy multasking though how do I delete a thread...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Delete what thread?

i7 is great for multi tasking. For a single user. Xeon is for a different use, like a server. They are not competitive products, they are complementary, they have different uses. They come from the same company!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You do not have the ability to delete a thread. Please control your temper here.

If you would like this thread deleted I am a moderator, let me know and I will do it for you.

By single user I mean just that, a person using their PC for normal every day tasks up to and including multitasking and gaming. The Xeon is made for heavier tasks that normal people do not do daily. Different tools for different tasks. You don't use a hammer to nail in a screw. Yeah it will work, but a screwdriver does it better and faster.