Windows 10 moved from SSD to HDD, still need HDD to boot

Sep 12, 2015
Hi,
I moved my windows installation from the HDD to the SSD using a clone tool and now all my files are on the SSD. I can boot from it normally and everything works as intended, the SSD is the C: drive except that I somehow still need the hdd to be pluged in to be able to boot.
If I remove the HDD and just boot with the SSD, I get stuck at the bios level with an "insert bootable device" error. I checked that the ssd is the bootable device and it somehow looks like the boot partition is still on the hdd.
Any ideas on how to migrate that to the ssd without having to reinstall everything?
Thanks

Solution

The specific port does not...

USAFRet

Titan
What you really need to do,,,

If this is a very recent clone operation:
Redo it.
At the end of the cloning operation, power off
Disconnect the old drive.
Swap the SATA cables around, so that the new SSD is connected tot he same SATA port as the old drive.
Power on
Adjust the boot order as needed
Continue the power on (with only the SSD connected)

If it boots, good.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to verify.
After, then you reconnect the old drive, and wipe it as needed

Sep 12, 2015

So the physical sata port number is somehow encoded in the boot partition? I ll try to swap the hdd and ssd's Sata cable.
I already wiped the hdd but I ll try anyways. Why does it matter if the clone is recent or not?

USAFRet

Titan

The specific port does not always matter. But sometimes it does make a difference.
It's easier to swap the cables around, rather than to try to troubleshoot later.

I mention 'recent', just because a clone operation a month old will be significantly different than one done yesterday.
If you've already wiped the old HDD, then you can't redo it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS