There's no sound coming out of my monitor!

ryce4lyfe

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
I've just finshed building my first pc and I've hooked up my monitor (Asus VG248QE) to the pc via displayport 1.2 cable but there is no sound coming from the built-in speakers. Don't ask why I don't use the Dual Link DVI-D cable that comes with it please (I have my reasons). Is it something to do with outdated drivers? If I use the dp cable and the audio cable then there is sound. As, I am still wating for the MSI Gtx 1060 to restock, I am currently connecting the monitor to the displayport on the motherboard. Is there a problem with that? All help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here are my parts: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XsQGqk

Solution
Most DisplayPort implementations don't carry sound; although the standard permits it (You can get a HDMI adapter) it often doesn't play nice with the monitors. One thing you can try is finding it in the sounds menu in Windows. (right-click the sound icon in the taskbar, then click playback devices). If it is there, then the displayport audio is supported. If it is not, then you can just use the 3.5" cable that should have come with it anyway.

If your motherboard has an HDMI connector, then use that. You won't be pushing 144Hz on integrated graphics anyway.

Roryiscool

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Most DisplayPort implementations don't carry sound; although the standard permits it (You can get a HDMI adapter) it often doesn't play nice with the monitors. One thing you can try is finding it in the sounds menu in Windows. (right-click the sound icon in the taskbar, then click playback devices). If it is there, then the displayport audio is supported. If it is not, then you can just use the 3.5" cable that should have come with it anyway.

If your motherboard has an HDMI connector, then use that. You won't be pushing 144Hz on integrated graphics anyway.

Solution

ryce4lyfe

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

Huh, I always thought dp carried sound. At least thats what people say on the internet. And no way I'm using HDMI cuz I just ordered my 1060 and i want the 144hz lol. I guess I'll just use dp cable and audio cable. Also, is there a difference with using displayport rather than dual link dvi-d?

Roryiscool

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

It depends if the monitor supports it. You can always use HDMI 2.0, which I believe has at least 120Hz. Dual-Link DVI-D can also only support up to 120Hz. DisplayPort is pretty much the master race of video connectors. DP does carry sound, but only if both the PC and the monitor support it. Odds are that the HDMI will be a much newer version (should be 2.0) on the 1060, so if you go with the HDMI you won't lose many frames.

Seriously though, if you get a headset this will solve your problem too :p

Roryiscool

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

It depends if the monitor supports it. You can always use HDMI 2.0, which I believe has at least 120Hz. Dual-Link DVI-D can also only support up to 120Hz. DisplayPort is pretty much the master race of video connectors. DP does carry sound, but only if both the PC and the monitor support it. Odds are that the HDMI will be a much newer version (should be 2.0) on the 1060, so if you go with the HDMI you won't lose many frames.

Seriously though, if you get a headset this will solve your problem too :p

ryce4lyfe

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

How do I find out if my pc and monitor supports the displayport cable? And it should be ok if I just use the audio cable to hook up the monitor with the pc. I will be getting speakers in the future anyways so the built-in monitor speakers is a temporary thing.

Roryiscool

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Sorry for the late reply, it might just be up to windows, but you should be able to find out from ASUS's product page for your screen. I had the AOC PF - something, that was quite a capable 144Hz monitor, and alas I could not get sound through the DP. If you really want temporary sound, then I really recommend just plugging in a budget pair of speakers or even your phone headset - they both sound much better than the inbuilt speakers in any monitor.