Benq XL2730Z vs LG 34UM88C-P, Which one would you get?

dannyh17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
I'm trying to decide between these two monitors

Benq XL2730Z
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014451&leaderboard=1

and

LG 34UM88C-P
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025364&cm_re=34uc88-_-24-025-364-_-Product

Just wanted the opinion of others and what would justify each choice

my specs
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k overclocked to 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 LGA 1151 Intel Z170
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800
Graphics Card(GPU): MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB GDDR5 VRAM
Sound card: Asus Xonar DGX
SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVME SSD (Boot Drive)
HDD1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80 plus GOLD Power Supply
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid-Tower Gaming

Solution

Based on your usage, I think you should go Ultrawide. Especially for content creation, and video editing the extra screen real-estate will be a big plus...

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Both are very different, and I would imagine, have clearly different benefits:

Benq XL2730Z
- Its based on a TN Panel, which in terms of color reproduction, is not as good as the IPS panels.
- Has the benefit of quick response time, an inherent trait of TN panels. Is rated at 1 ms; if you play very fast paced FPS games, and want this, it may be of benefit to you.
- Also has a high refresh rate of 144 Hz.
- Looks to be marketed towards gamers, with the 1 ms response time, and the higher refresh rate.
- Its a regular wide-screen monitor.
- Mentions USB hub (maybe USB 2.0).

LG 34UM88C-P
- Its an IPS panel, so contrast, and colors will likely be better. Overall slightly better picture quality.
- 5 ms response time, which will be okay for everyday use, multimedia, and most gaming.
- Regular 60 Hz, which should also be fine for regular use.
- Geared towards productivity apps. Will be useful if you have multiple windows open, and multitask. For example: Word, plus a browser window.
- Its Ultrawide, so you'll have plenty of horizontal space. Something that will benefit productivity as mentioned above.
- Has 2 USB 3.0 ports, and has a model with Thunderbolt 2 as an option.
- Can have multiple inputs, and view them simultaneously with PIP.
- You can opt for a Curved screen if you want.

It boils down to your usage. If its only for gaming, and you play very fast paced games, with very quick motion, the BenQ may serve you better. Otherwise the LG with the IPS panel is a better bet. For everyday use like browsing, office apps, most gaming, and entertainment, it'll serve you well. Seems to have a better feature set. Aesthetically, I feel the design looks nicer.

Common between the two are the QHD resolution, which is one more than FHD (1080p), and lower than UHD (4k). They both also have Freesync, which is applicable for gaming, but again, may not be a must have based on use.

dannyh17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012

Thank you for replying. I have to agree with you, both monitors have different benefits. I'm mostly a gamer but also do content creation such as video editing, will be using this for school and work. I feel like the benq with its really high refresh rate is targetted towards the competitive gamers and who mostly play FPS. I do enjoy a lot of FPS as well, but I am very open with my game choices, I don't stick with one genre. I'm very intrigued by the ultrawide design, but am also conflicted since so many people praise 144hz panels. Ughh this is such a hard decision for me.

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

Based on your usage, I think you should go Ultrawide. Especially for content creation, and video editing the extra screen real-estate will be a big plus. You'll be able to display a longer timeline on screen, and have more content bins open too. For other school work as well, it'll make a huge difference. You can do research and make notes simultaneously, with more space to spare.

The BenQ XL2730Z is really for competitive gaming. With all the different uses you have, you're probably not going to see the benefit of the 144 Hz, over 90% of the time. Whereas you'll enjoy the Ultrawide benefits almost all the time. Several gamers have also praised the extra peripheral vision thanks to the Ultrawide.

Solution