Lack of Sharpness setting on AOC G2260VWQ6 Monitor. Is this a problem?

Timekeepsonslippin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
My previous monitor was a TN Benq panel from about 2008.
I tried out a newer VA Benq panel a couple weeks ago.

Both of them had sharpness settings, and I tended to set it to either the highest or about the 2nd highest setting or so, as I like to see all the details without any blur (and games often look quite interesting with sharpness set very high).

This new AOC G2260VWQ6 TN panel doesn't seem to have any sharpness settings, unless you are using the analog input, digital inputs cause it to decide the setting for you.

My question is, is the sharpness it's providing necessarily optimal? How do they know that the calibration is correct? I like everything else about this monitor, but this one issue with the lack of a sharpness option has bothered me. It almost makes me wish I'd gone with another Benq, but I got a good deal on this monitor.

As far as I know there's no other way to sharpen a monitor (when it has the option) other than through its own settings, I've never seen an option to alter sharpness in my AMD GPU options for example.

Freesync range.

Just FYI, but your monitor like most of the Freesync monitors have a limited range which doesn't work on the low end.

It's not even listed but it appears like the range might be 50Hz to 75Hz, which means if you drop below 50FPS or go above 75FPS you are back to VSYNC ON or OFF with the corresponding issues (screen tear, lag etc depending on how it is setup).

*My advice is learn how to set an FPS CAP, and then tweak the game to very rarely drop below 50FPS.

(If your monitor had been 30Hz to 75Hz then it would have worked a lot better since it could drop below 30FPS and still be in range because the video driver can resend the GPU output to stay in ragne. For example 29FPS becomes "58FPS"; it's still 29 separate frames but they are repeated to force the monitor to stay in asynchronous mode).

This may make no sense. If not you may want to do some research.

GSYNC just works. Freesync can work, however it relies on a GPU fix for the low end which requires the max/min ratio to be at least 2.5X such as 30Hz to 75Hz range.

Timekeepsonslippin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
With the updated drivers you get 35Hz-75Hz, I've them installed already.

Like I said you can only access Image Setup if you use the Analog cable, as opposed to digital (HDMI or Displayport).

Still hoping for answers for some of my questions, like the fact that apparently many monitors do not have options for sharpness. I searched around on Google and this seems to have been the case for a long time, I'm just wondering if the one sharpness setting they force upon you when using a digital cable is generally considered perfectly calibrated, I have my doubts.

Timekeepsonslippin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Just to be clear, I'm wondering why some monitors like those from Benq have the option for Sharpness while using Digital inputs (HDMI, DVI, Displayport), but other monitors like the AOC I bought only allow sharpness settings for the Analog input (VGA).

They don't give you a choice with this monitor and many others apparently, I can only assume they believe the monitor has perfect sharpness at this one setting. Is there any proof that it is perfect sharpness though? I personally like having a lot of options with a high degree of subtle tuning being possible. What looks clear to the people who designed this, might be bad for the eyes compared to other settings for another person, and appear hard to see & look at.

Like I've said I tended to turn the sharpness way up most of the time on my Benq monitors.

I'll settle with what this monitor is offering, I've no plans to return it, I'm just wondering what the general opinion is on this issue at this point.