Windows 10 boot fail - installed new copy of windows on seperate HDD

ishwoo

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
Hi guys,

currently stuck with two installations of windows on two different HDD, ones fresh and ones old (but unusable) and I need to get on the old one.

Recently I fell for the windows 10 upgrade thing. I had HDD A and B all set up nicely in Win7 and when i upgraded only HDD A made it through, HDD B appeared to have been killed off and was no longer usable or recognizable by windows 10. This was fine until i ran out of space and decided to get HDD B working. I did this by downloading a partition program and wiping the entire HDD B (this was my back up drive, 'luckily' i had everything backed up on HDD A...) which made it work until i reset my PC.

Upon restarting my PC it no longer recognized Windows 10 was installed. I presumed HDD A had failed as it was Western Digital and they only seem to last a year so I installed a new copy of windows on HDD B. As it turns out HDD A didn't fail and still carried my old copy of windows and whatever I did with resetting HDD B stopped it from booting properly

The problem is now i'm stuck with a fresh copy of windows on HDD B (which I don't want) and I can still see all my files on HDD A. Is there anyway to get the boot working again on HDD A? HDD A contains all my drivers, passwords saved on chrome etc so I'd like to boot straight into HDD A and keep HDD B as a backup as i originally intented.

I can try booting into HDD A but it automatically loads the new windows installation on HDD B instead.

Solution
take HDD B out for now, we try to fix A.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its just a boot disk

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer, on 2nd screen , after languages, choose repair this PC
follow this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows until it starts talking about recovery drives. restart PC and see if it boots

I think what happened is cause you had two hdd in PC at same time when you installed, win 10 put the MBR it used to boot drive A on Drive B, and when you deleted the drive it was lost completely, I haven't seen it do that before but anything possible with updgrades that are essentially...

Colif

Win 11 Master
take HDD B out for now, we try to fix A.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its just a boot disk

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer, on 2nd screen , after languages, choose repair this PC
follow this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows until it starts talking about recovery drives. restart PC and see if it boots

I think what happened is cause you had two hdd in PC at same time when you installed, win 10 put the MBR it used to boot drive A on Drive B, and when you deleted the drive it was lost completely, I haven't seen it do that before but anything possible with updgrades that are essentially fresh installs.

If A works, do you want B to be on Win 10 or did you want it as 7?? Were they using two different licences or the same one?

Solution

ishwoo

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the reply, I actually fixed it. It turns out WIN10 decided it needed to use an entire 1TB HDD as the boot partition, while i wiped the boot partition it also unmounted/activated HDD A. I fixed it by unplugging HDD B, setting HDD A as the active one then doing as you suggested followed by running start-up repair. I've now reformatted HDD B and the computer works as intended.