Can I take hdd and graphics card out and put it new pc in another country?

Kathy64

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Hi, we are moving to the states from Greece and my son has a gaming PC that he really can't live without. He games, has a youtube channel and makes and edits videos. My question is can we just take his hdd and graphics card and put into a new system? Is that not possible? I'm also confused as to where all his saved games are...everything they should be on his hdd no? If we ship it will take 6 weeks which is a long time for him not to be making videos and of course playing. Also if I do decide to ship it will it work in the states because of the difference in electricity? Thanks!

Time of this report: 11/3/2015, 12:22:25
Machine name: USER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150525-0603)
Language: Greek (Regional Setting: Greek)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Gigabyte H61M-S2PV
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/25/13 16:17:04 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8156MB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce 970

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Yes, but the HDD will not boot correctly in the new PC if the OS (operating system) is installed in it.

If the HDD is simply his stored games and data, then it should be fine. The games and videos will all remain in the same files that he saved them, though he may need to reinstall some games as they will not be able to work 100% with a simple HDD swop. He should try to locate his saved game data and back it up into a flash drive just to be safe.

The graphics card should work fine in another PC provided the new PC has a decent power supply of around 500watts, and the case is large enough for the graphics card.

Do you mind sharing his youtube channel link so we can see what he produces? No pressure though, only if you guys don't mind.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes you can. The electricity is of no consequence.

But there is a LARGE possibility that the drive will not boot in a whole different system.
Requiring a full reinstall. Which will wipe out whatever is on that drive.

Why would shipping it take 6 weeks?

Kathy64

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
His channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/BedrockSkyz. It will take 6 weeks because it is being shipped by boat to save money....if I shipped by plane it would cost more than a new pc. I was thinking of using Carbonite but I don't think our internet connection will be able to load it in less than two weeks! We only have from 4-8mbps.
If we get a new system with the same OS and use the hdd as a second drive will he be able to play games normally?

Jester Maroc

Distinguished

Yes, eventually. Some will be able to work but most will require a re-install/re-download. His saved game data should still be on the HDD if that is where he selected to save his profiles and save game data.

Looking at his channel I see mostly Fallout 4, some Minecraft, and a couple CoD and BF4 vids. These games generally sync saved data (not always) onto the game servers at Steam or Origin. It might be a good idea for him to check and make sure his data is synced.

Minecraft would be on whatever server he plays. If he plays locally I am sure he would know how to back up his stuff.

The most important thing would be to back up the saved game data for all his games prior to dismantling his PC.