Win 10 stuck on scanning and repair screen Help please

crazycrads

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hi I recently decided to clean out my fan dust filters and my computer was left on standby stupidly I forse shutdown my pc but holding the power button realising right away my mistake but thought it will be fine so I continued to clean my pc. i turn my pc on and the "scanning and repairing drive (c: ) : 100%" came up which must have run trough in like 1 min and now it seems to be stuck on this screen with Windows logo and loading icon spinning with the writing underneath. Is it best to leave it running or is there a way I can skip this safely and scan the disk drive myself in safe mode. Any advice will be much welcome

Solution
Expect its probably okay, think it ran that scan because you shut it down the way you did. It ran check disk, there isn't many other scans that would help.

To make sure windows is okay,
right click start button
choose command prompt (Admin)
type SFC /Scannow and press enter

see how that goes

Colif

Win 11 Master

crazycrads

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
It's a 250 ssd iv left it for about an hour and a half there's no way of restarting without a hard restart and I don't fancy that just yet I was wondering if there was a short cut to jump me to bios or postpone the scan but I'll just keep waiting see how it goes. Thanks for the reply

Colif

Win 11 Master
try ctrl alt del since its not in windows yet, it should restart pc

SSD won't take hours to run, sounds like windows got stuck

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a handy boot disc

once USB made,
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

you can try safe mode, sometimes just booting into safe mode can fix problems like this
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which
PC will restart and load safe mode
simply restart and see what happens

crazycrads

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
For some reason my USB ports have no power to them so I'm unable to use a keyboard or mouse I know Windows 10 like to disable theses during scans and update so at the moment I'm stuck dead in the water

Colif

Win 11 Master
hard reset might be only choice. you should have access to mouse while bios screen open and before win 10 takes control

mouse/kb drivers not really loaded until you hit the logon screen, I see my keyboard lights are off before it gets to there, and only change colours once i get to desktop.

if it doesn't work, you may need to get PC repaired and they can figure out why it won't boot for you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Expect its probably okay, think it ran that scan because you shut it down the way you did. It ran check disk, there isn't many other scans that would help.

To make sure windows is okay,
right click start button
choose command prompt (Admin)
type SFC /Scannow and press enter

see how that goes

Solution