Microphone Just Stopped Working in Windows 10

ShiruRaiko

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Using the Realtek High Definition Audio. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, with no luck. Tried using the Windows standard ones with no luck.

Haven't installed any recent Windows updates and it was working fine for about 2 hours yesterday then all the sudden it stopped working.

Key things I noticed was when I play videos the Mic seems to be acting like it picks up the videos sound even though I don't have my speakers plugged in. If I also in the listen tab set it to "Listen to this device" and then I plug in my speakers they begin screaming with static.

Never had this happen before, so hoping someone has no idea of what is going on.

Solution
What headset/microphone are you using?

Try it on another computer: See if the problem follows the headset/mic.

Also try another headset/microphone on your computer. See if the problem continues.

The idea is to narrow down to the head/mic or the computer being the problem.

Do the speakers work okay elsewhere?

Ralston18

Titan
What headset/microphone are you using?

Try it on another computer: See if the problem follows the headset/mic.

Also try another headset/microphone on your computer. See if the problem continues.

The idea is to narrow down to the head/mic or the computer being the problem.

Do the speakers work okay elsewhere?

Solution

ShiruRaiko

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Thank you. In all my frustration I never actually thought my headset that was only a few days old would go bad on me. Tried it on another computer and sure enough the microphone on the headset is dead.