Installing nvidia driver makes PC restart and restart continiously 10 sec after showing log in screen

Roler

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Deleting the gpu driver removes the problem, I've tried the display driver uninstalled method: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

It did not work, I've also reinstalled Windows from scratch like 10 times.

I've also changed power input cable to the gpu from the psu.

No error message at restart, only sometimes say "Windows did not start correctly"

If I let windows download the driver while having cleaned all previous drivers, it also restarts.

So I've deactivated Windows auto driver update like this says:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html

Bios is set to "optimized default", newest version Gigabyte F4 (preinstalled)

Update: Nvidia just released Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit driver,
372.54 WHQL, it did not work, but! It managed to install once, and when I tried to uninstall it it crashed, and now it doesn't work to install again. I use gpu driver wipe between every install of course.

Update 2 I talked to NVidia, and I tried to remove all cables and components and put it back together, that did not work. I have tried my gpu on another computer that worked, so now I will check a new gpu on this computer.

So the scenario is like this:
I start the nvidia install, it comes to the part where the screen goes black and resets the resolution, 10 second after that it always goes black and restarts, same place every time.

New computer except the psu:
I7 6700k 4 ghz (factory clock)
Gtx 1080 gigabyte (factory clock)
Gigabyte G5 mini itx
Corsair 16 GB 2400 ddr4
Corsair tx 750 w (9 years old, New psu arriving 20th of August.)
PHILIPS 223V5LHSB2/ 00 21.5" Full-HD (using HDMI cable)
windows 10 pro 64 bit version 1607

Hello Roler

It looks like the driver you are trying to install is culprit.

Can you please confirm if you got/downloaded the driver from a trusted source, i.e. from the vendor's official website?

Also, many times the most updated drivers fail to perform correctly but their older versions work pretty well. You can try downloading and installing an earlier version of the driver and see if the issue is resolved.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

Roler

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

I've already tried the two latest drivers directly from nvidia, both from GeForce experience and from direct driver download, driver for windows 10 pro 64 bit gtx 1080 version 368.81 ( the newest) and 368.69 (second newest), did not work

Hello again Roler

Instead of Windows 10 driver, I would have tried driver for Windows 8.1 and then for Windows 7. Sometimes they work well.

Cheers!! :)

Roler

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Could not install windows 8.1 driver, reason: "Not compatible windows version", can I work around that ?

Hello again Roler

Can you please check if the correct driver is downloaded, i.e. 64-bit driver for 64-bit OS or 32-bit driver for 32-bit OS?

Although it is unlikely to work, you can still try installing the driver using Compatibility Mode.

Hope this helps. Cheers!! :)

Roler

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Didn't work sadly, 10 seconds after the gpu driver activates it shuts down and restart with no blue screen. I've ordered a new psu, any idea what I can check in the meantime ?

Roler

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I might have a possible solution I will test, I have a strange pci e slot in my computer, silver stone rv01 :

It uses pci e extensions to bend the way the gpu faces to the side of the motherboard, and not up from the motherboard, will try putting the gpu directly in the motherboard tomorrow.

Update: This did not work.

Since I have a 750 w 80 + psu it should be okey, and I've tried to switch all possible 6 + 2 pins into the gtx, I have no idea what this problem can be now..

TRENDING THREADS