intel 6700k noctua nh-u12s temperature max 71C?

corbela

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hi,

I recently installed 6700k with noctua nh-u12s. I'm monitoring the temperature and hwmonitor shows 25-30C in idle and max temperature in load 71C. Realtemp shows few degree less. What is common for both is that one core in max is about 5C hotter than others. These temperatures are fine for me however I expected better results from this Noctua cooler. Am I wrong with this expectation? Switching new thermalpaste from noctuas to arctic 5 might do the trick. Paste applying methods are also on table for infinite discussion:D What do you guys think of these these temps? Ok or should I doublecheck paste and mount? Paste is not visible while cooler is mounted so there should not be too much of it.

BTW

Is hwinfo for osd a good choice for cpu and gpu temperature monitoring, mean osd. Fan speed would be also nice to know.I dislike checking them via windows button:p Thanks!

It's not a bad cooler but it sounds about right where it should be. It's essentially a 212 evo with an extra heat pipe and more than likely a better fan (considering it's noctua). It's a 120mm single fan single tower cooler. In terms of cooling it ranks about the same as the phanteks tc12dx, a little better maybe. It's not an nh-d14 or nh-d15 with 6 heat pipes, dual towers and dual fans. Part of the perks of the u12s, while it cools similar to similarly sized coolers it's one of the quietest.

Changing thermal paste isn't going to do much if anything, nth1 paste is equally as good as as5. If you get any noticeable temp difference it would from paste application method and mounting, not from the paste.

corbela

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Ok thats good to know. If there would be a problem in mounting, paste or in processor overall I think it should have been popped up already.

If there was an error at all in mounting, a bit too much or too little thermal paste used then a remount may solve that. Remounting involves cleaning off the cpu and heatsink really well, reapplying thermal paste and reattaching the cooler. It may or may not improve temps by a few degrees. It doesn't seem extraordinarily hot or anything though.

It's typical for there to be a slight difference in core temps. No guarantee is given but it's preferable that there be around 10c or less difference between the hottest and coolest cores.