Keyboard won't work after resetting Windows 10 BIOs

Stormus

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hello, and thanks ahead time for your help.

I ran into some issues so I reset my Windows 10 BIOs. After the reset, my keyboard will not work once my computer boots up. I can use the keyboard to access the BIOs but once past that screen, my keyboard will not allow me to type. The LED light on the keyboard is ON during this entire time.

Truthfully, this has happened before and I know I did something in the BIOs for the computer to recognize my keyboard. It's also worth mentioning I have a ps/2 to USB adapter and it doesn't recognize my keyboard through that input either.

Here are my basic specs:

Motherboard: MSI Gaming Z170A
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
Power Supply: Corsair AX Series AX760 760W

Like I said, I've had this issue before and resolved it by doing something in the BIOs but I cannot for the life of me remember what I did.

Edit: It's worth noting, unlike similarly reported problems my mouse works just fine. The keyboard I have is a Saitek Cyborg v5 Keyboard.

Thanks again for the help.

Stormus

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

Hmmm... I thought I was able to find a solution through the BIOs a year ago when this happened, but maybe not? I have another keyboard I can try when I get home but I doubt that's the problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't have to reset bios if all you did was reset windows.

try this

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its just a boot disc

Try to get into safe mode, (this might not have a Start up settings menu, it seems random if menu exists or not)
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up settings
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which
Pc will restart and load safe mode
if it gets you into safe mode, right click the start menu and choose device manager
See if any devices in here are unknown
see if keyboard actually works (open wordpad)

win 10 should see a USB 3 keyboard, it has USB 3 drivers built in.

Stormus

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

Colif, thanks for your attention on this. I went home during lunch and just for shits I decided to switch out keyboards with my old school Windows one... and it worked :pfff: Anyways, looks like I'll be able to install the proper drivers and this shouldn't be an issue. Regardless, thanks for your help!