1080p vs 1440p, and what size is best

Marcosaramos

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hey guys I am in the market to buy a new monitor, right now i have a 22 inch monitor and I just want to get a bigger screen that looks better. My current setup is i5-2500k at 4.4 ghz, and a MSI Gtx 1060, 8 gbs ram. The current games i play are csgo, no man's sky, wow, overwatch, diablo 3, and some other fps.

My main dilemna is, ive been hearing that for fps games getting a 144hz monitor is the ideal monitor, and those monitors usually are 24 inches, and TN, but I have an ips monitor and the colors are just stellar. Ive also been looking at 27 inch monitors that run at 1080p but ive read alot of people arent too satisfied with 1080p at that size. Ive also been thinking why not make the jump to 1440p which is like a median to 4k, but its pricier.

After all that text i guess my main question is, for the type of gaming i do, and recreational surfing on the web, what would be better: getting a 144hz monitor, 27 inch 1080p, or splurging to 1440p. The max i'd ideally want to spend is around $275, but if there is just a good deal i cant pass up, i'd jump on it.

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading :D

Solution
The difference between the two used to be input lag, not the case anymore. I don't even notice the input lag using a steering wheel, but then there are obviously slower monitors out there. Not talking about 144 Hz though, just 60 Hz.

The colors are better on IPS at this price range because there's no FrameRateControl implemented into the cheaper TN's, the IPS are allowed to display more colors, but they aren't necessarily more accurate if you don't calibrate either. On some cheaper TN's, banding is very obvious though, so something worth noting I think.

All the best!
Well the problem is besides CSGO your GPU probably is't powerful enough to pump out 144fps or more, so therefore the faster refresh monitor is a waste if your GPU can't handle it.

Second, your GPU isn't really fast enough to put out 60fps or over in modern games at 1440p resolution.

So I don't know what you want to take from that....

Marcosaramos

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
So i guess with my setup, 1080 seems to be like the sweet spot, i guess now i narrow it down to, should i just get a monitor at 24 inches, or ive seen 27 inch 1080p monitors, but i dont know how those fair in comparison to 24 inches. Thanks for the reply, i appreciate the input

size of the screen doesn't matter, 24" or 240", 1080p is still the same # of pixels, just bigger. Look at a 60" or so flat screen TV at 1080p. Are the pixels that big too that they bug you? If not, than 27" should be fine. Even better, go out and see if you can look at some in stores.

The PPI is generally 100 for the sweet spot, but not for everyone, only way to find out is to try the difference between 1080 and 1440 on the same screen size, in this case I'm assuming 27". The moment you feel like you have to use DPI scaling that's when you reach diminishing returns, paying for something you don't need. Text scaling also exists, and icon scaling and so on, but try to avoid scaling if at all possible, as you'll be wasting the advantage of a higher resolution (and PPI) screen.

All the best!

The difference between the two used to be input lag, not the case anymore. I don't even notice the input lag using a steering wheel, but then there are obviously slower monitors out there. Not talking about 144 Hz though, just 60 Hz.

The colors are better on IPS at this price range because there's no FrameRateControl implemented into the cheaper TN's, the IPS are allowed to display more colors, but they aren't necessarily more accurate if you don't calibrate either. On some cheaper TN's, banding is very obvious though, so something worth noting I think.

All the best!

Solution