CPU Temp Sensor Jumping from 39C to 112C

Phenom_

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hello everyone,

My System:
Xeon 1230V3 / ASUS Z87K / HD7950 / 8GB DDR3 1866 / 750W EVGA Supernova

Some days ago my pc started to refuse booting up with a warning "CPU Overtemperature". It is the "CPU Temp" sensor in particular, which showed 112C (Bios and AIDA64). I quickly realized that the sensor jumps from 39C straight to 112C within a second whenever the pc heats up a bit. I already reinstalled my CPU Cooler twice (Scythe Mugen or Intel Stockfan) and always see the same transition from 39C to 112C.

All other sensors are working normally, I see 35C idle on my cores/package temp and 74C under full load in LinX after many hours - the "CPU Temp" can be as high as 135C then. The whole system never crashes or throttles its clock, but it still refuses to boot unless I tell the bios to ignore the "CPU Temp" values.
So my question basically is: Is the "CPU Temp" sensor located on the processor itself, or on the motherboard and/or its socket? I wanted to sell this processor in order to upgrade to a newer platform, but i couldnt do that if its the culprit. And one last thing: At the same time the sensor started acting weird, my 4x USB front case ports stopped working.

Thank you for your help,
Phenom_

Mchalo

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Generally its in the CPU and measures the temp on the heat spreader in the center

ps. If you were going to sell your processor to upgrade to a new platform wouldn't you also need to upgrade your mother board or are you getting one with the same socket?

Phenom_

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hey Mchalo,
Oh well I guess I shouldnt really sell the processor then - dont want to get in trouble with the new owner ;O On the internet there were various opinions regarding the location of the sensor, some people said its in the socket of the motherboard. Unfortunately no one I know has a Haswell motherboard for some testing of the cpu.

This whole system often caused trouble, not wanting to boot and getting stuck in a loop before actually starting. Already swapped out everything else with spare parts I had (GPU, RAM, PSU) and this boot loop still occurs (3x power on/off), then theres the new temperature error on top.. I thought about just leaving the whole platform behind and upgrading to an i7 6700K with a new motherboard. The i7 4790K costs the same here, and since my motherboard might be a bit faulty as well, Id rather not take the risk keeping it.