Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Fallout 4 + DLC Season Pass!

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
General Info on How To Enter

• ■ These giveaways now span 2 full weeks instead of 1. This means there's more time for you to enter!
    ■ There are now two ways to enter to win! Each person can only win once.

• 1. Enter the raffle via the gleam widget. All we ask for there is a name and a contact email. There will only ever be 1 copy of the game up for grabs with this method.

2. Take part in the discussion in this thread! A discussion prompt will be provided each time. Just answer the prompt to be eligible to win! Eligible participants will be randomly selected to receive a copy of the game.
[widget="https://gleam.io/PA6Xw/toms-hardware-steam-giveaway-fallout-4-dlc-season-pass", 800][/widget]

Hey everyone! We've got another great Steam giveaway for you!

Up for grabs are three (3) copies of Fallout 4, including the Season Pass DLC. As always, one will be awarded via the raffle (found above) and two will be given away to participants who answer the discussion prompt below.

It's hard to believe Fallout 4 was released nearly a year ago. Since then, gamers have spent countless hours exploring, looting, and killing in the post-apocalyptic retro-future of New England, an in-game region known as "The Commonwealth." If you win you'll also get the Fallout 4 Season Pass DLC, which includes Nuka World, Fallout 4's final big DLC add-on, set for release on August 30th.

And now, for the discussion prompt:

The year is 2077 and the bombs just dropped. You survived, managing to save your super fast quantum gaming computer, but little else of civilization remain. Miraculously your computer still powers on, and you have a bit of time to kill. What three games would you play while waiting for the nuclear fallout to blow over?

In case you missed it we're also hosting an AMA with some of our friends at MSI. To commemorate the special occasion we're giving away some sweet, sweet MSI Gaming gear, including the impressive MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G. Also up for grabs are their latest motherboards and a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G. We're collecting questions ahead of time. Head to the thread now for your chance to ask MSI anything.

The Steam Giveaway will run until 12 p.m. EDT on Friday, August 26th. The game will be awarded to the winners as a Steam gift. A Steam account is required to receive the prize and play the game.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Since little else remains, it would sadly need to be single player games... :-(

My choices would be Skyrim, Anno 1404 (can play this for years on end), and I would still be willing to play Dota 2 vs bots, lol!

Aug 11, 2015
I would start out by playing Minecraft (with my custom modpack naturally), with some GTA V thrown in. Since it could be decades, I would probably end up doing everything possible in GTA V. Lastly, Fallout 4, because it could hold some useful facts regarding the nuclear wasteland outside (I said some, maybe the aliens are a bit far fetched). In order to be able to do this through, I need to win this giveaway, so please consider that you might be helping to save my life if the nuclear apocalypse comes to pass. :)

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Like @HyperCat said, it needs to be a game where I can either play a well-defined single-player campaign, or I at least have a reasonable option for "multiplayer" against AI bots. But, since we're talking post-apocalyptic, that means I also need independence from online servers, so I can't rely on any games that require an "always-on" Internet connection (even for single-player mode). That leaves me....
-- StarCraft Brood War (unfortunately not StarCraft II), RTS selection: I technically get six campaigns out of it (1 each of Terran, Protoss & Zerg for "vanilla" & the Brood War expansion), plus the ability to play on a huge slew of maps where I can have 3, 4, 5, or even up to 7 AIs in combat (although I'd probably have to either ally with a couple or set it so that none of the AIs will work together).
-- Halo CE, FPS selection: The game has one of the longest single-player campaigns that I've ever played. Which makes sense, since you're literally traveling from orbit to the Halo surface, back up to a Covenant ship, back down to the Halo, & then traveling through the Halo just about all the way around. I've actually finished the campaign maybe twice, so there's definitely some long hours of playtime available.
-- X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, combat flight sim selection: decent campaigns, plus a lot of flexibility in setting up "quick combat" missions for fun against AI pilots. Plus, you're flying X-Wings (and Y-, B- & A-Wings), & TIE Fighters (plus Bombers & Interceptors, as well as Assault Shuttles).

Shinji10TH

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Probably an RPG like The Witcher, a puzzle-game like The Talos Pinciple and lastly a party-game, like the recent Overcooked, I hope we aren't the only one stuck in that vault.

nimbian

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I would have to say the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 would be able to consume a large amount of time but seeing as how we are talking years I'd have to throw Minecraft in there because sooner or later you would run out of things to do in the first 2.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Having only three games for a long time, you'd need:
A decent timewaster game e.g. Peggle
Something procedurally generated such as Rogue Legacy
And something reasonably challenging like Dark Souls

jlfx64

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
ES Oblivion (GOY Edition) - to me, feels like there is more variability in character development (an less limiting) than Skyrim, so the experience may last longer.

Civilization 3 - May help in rebuilding a great civilization in the new wasteland!

Madden (latest version before nuclear winter) - All personal here as every fall I inevitably get an itch to start my own franchise from scratch and dominate the NFL. The version doesn't really matter as long as its relatively current (no later than 2014).

Well, by then, I would hope that 'The Forest' has at least made it to beta stage of development by then. Who wouldn't want to build forts in a beautiful forest sandbox with cuddly rabbits and squirrels?

'No Man's Sky' would be fully patched by then and offer quintillions? of worlds and infinite possibilities. It's so chill, I imagine it would help take the edge off.

I'm going to take a leap of faith here and believe that Dark Souls 3's yet to be released DLC will fix some or all of my gripes with the game, so that'll round out the 3rd and final. The combat offers multiple paths from cool and calculated, to rushing in with hands down and chin up, giving the player variety in weapons and tactics.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Minesweeper. Brush up on mah skills so after the apocalypse I don't step on a trap and die.

You Don't Know Jack. Keep informed so I can educate post-apocalypse generations on stupid pieces of knowledge that don't mean anything.

Kerbal Space Program. In case the earth becomes uninhabitable.

I) Something that may take some time, maybe No Man's Sky. Have been into it for the past week and I like the idea of never being able to actually explore it in it 's entirety.

II) Diablo II.

III) I want to add an action/shooter/something more violent but it's a hard choice. I'd have to say Crysis. It's the only game of that type that I've played through many times and still get the urge to go back at least once a year.

like most of these prompts _Johnny5 has given us it's a hard choice, makes my brain "short circuit". i would sorely miss so many others.

glez13

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Would probably go with XCOM2, Dark Souls 3 and then Fallout 4. All games with lots of replay value, and also kinda representing different types of gameplay, some turn-based over here, some fighting over there and finally some shooting everywhere.

iapascual

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Only three games? :(

I) The last Civilization, if it happens right now it would be Civ V with all the DLCs. By 2077 it will probably be something like Civ XII. I hope they have developed some good AI by then.

II) Diablo II, it's always good to hack'n slash.

III) Cities: Skylines, after all we'll need to build some new cities.

brandonclone1

Honorable
Mar 26, 2014
No internet in the post-apocalyptic future? What a terrible fate!

My choice of three offline games
- Borderlands 2
- Roller Coaster Tycoon
- Spider Solitaire (because even quantum computers running Windows will still have card games)

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I'm not going to lie, this isn't an easy choice

- Sims 3 (don't laugh) ; would be great to vent my post-apocalyptic frustrations on my virtual survivors >:)
- Starcraft 2 ; because I've been playing starcraft for almost two decades now and I don't see that changing soon.
- No Man's Sky ; I'm pretty sure I won't discover the entire universe before someone discovers me. If so I'll just ignite another family on Sims 3.

EvilFlash

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
I'd play:
1) The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt
2) GTA V
And if I'm done with these I'll go to No Man's Sky cuz no nuclear fallout can last as long as it would take to explore 18 quintillion planets ;D.

Questcraft

Reputable
May 27, 2015
My 3 choices are:
- Civilization V (Playing marathon should take a large chunk of time)
- Clicker Heroes (That game is strangely addicting)
- Minecraft/Terraria (Infinite possibilities)

Just a question though, how advanced is VR/AR in the year 2077? I would guess that by then it would be full immersion and either like a holo-deck (star trek) or the NerveGear (SAO). If that is the case, my revised VR list would be:
- The Sims
- Minecraft
- Garry's Mod

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Fallout 4
No Man's Sky
and probably a fun racer, something I can hop on and have a quick game with.....change gears and go with Burnout: Paradise. Love that game. :)

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
1) super mario..... given that it consumer little energy then it will last forever :)
2)Ms Pac-Man to beat my best score
3) Duck Hunt... i still have not killed all ducks :(
extra game:
4)while i was a kid i was playing so much the tetris game, that i still would like to continue to play it till my last day with some electrical energy ;)

CaptainKurtNotKirk

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Mine would be Dishonored 2, Fallout 4, and Call of Duty World at War. Fallout is obvious, the open world aspect of it would take a long time to get boring, especially considering how many ways there are to play the game. The same theme continues for Dishonored 2 (even though it hasn't been released yet), where the appeal comes from the various ways to play through the game. And I feel like World at War would be an unpopular opinion, but I would just play custom maps. I would play every map ever made and then start making my own for the fun of it. (And if Dishonored 2 doesn't count, my third choice would be Minecraft. It's a game based solely on the imagination of the player, which would be crucial.)