Change Windows Language or reinstall Windows

DarkTron

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hello!

My PC is currently running Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. But in german. I would like to change my language to enlgish but since I first installed Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10 I don't know if I could use this key again if I would install Windows 10 now directly. Does anyone know this? Or would you suggest I just use a language pack to make my Windows english?

Thanks!

Solution
It's pretty easy, no reinstall required.
See here: http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-the-display-language-in-windows-10/

DarkTron

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

My previous system was not 8.1 english. I installed Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit german back in september 2015 and instantly upgraded to Win 10, german of course

DarkTron

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

I've seen that already, thanks. But will it change everything, really everything? I don't want to end up with some things in german and some in english

Everything. No worries.

DarkTron

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

Hope you are right. Will try it now, I'll update this if I find something wrong :)

Cool, good luck!

DarkTron

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
So I will update this really quick now:

I have been using my original, Windows 10 German 64 Bit system for nearly a year and one week ago I changed my language to English using this...

http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-the-display-language-in-windows-10/

...guide as suggested above. Everything still works fine and I have yet to find something not translated. Things like my GIMP or WinRAR context menu shortcuts were still displayed in German of course, but after reinstalling those 2 programs in English it worked. Also, I had to set a lot of programs from English to German manually, but that was no big deal for me, took me about 1 hour.

Conclusion: For anyone who doesn't want to reinstall Windows but still wants to change their system Language, this works better than expected!

Obviously, changing window's language will not change teh language of third party apps, but it will completly change windows itself.

DarkTron

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

I know I know... I wasn't expecting that. I just wanted to mention it in case anyone else wants to do this, and some programs actually did change their language based on my systems language.