Curious to see peoples opinions on my System, possible upgrades?

Nexoit

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Just curious to see what people think of my System and if i should upgrade anything.
I'm going to be purchasing a Gtx 1070 in around a month, i am also upgrading my monitor to fully use the graphics which the card can offer (Specifically G-Sync). If anyone is curious on what monitor it will be the Acer XB270H-G 27in G-Sync 144Hz

Anyway my computer is currently running these specs:
ASUS Sabertooth z77
Intel Core i5 3570K
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Upgrading to GTX 1070 as said previously)
CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid M850 850W
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Interested to see your opinions, thanks for looking over the specs!

frank_hnd

Honorable
honestly you don't have to change anything, assuming you have an SSD, you can just get your GTX1070 and enjoy your new monitor as well.

what's the OC on that 3570K?

Nexoit

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Its running at its base 3.4GHz

frank_hnd

Honorable
well definitely you should try OCing that baby. you have the motherboard and the power to do so. it will definitely help with FPS specially with CPU intensive games.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With a 1070 and a monitor like that to challenge it, might want to think about 16Gb of ram too. 8Gb will still work, but you'll probably start getting games that'll challenge that too

There's very little difference in ability between Ivy-Bridge, Haswells and skylake cpus other than the obligatory gimmicks and toys such as m.2 native ports, USB 3.1 etc. If you are happy with your game play and level of performance, there's no need for change since any change with your current setup is relatively closer to a sideways move than to an upgrade. My 11yr old daughter is quite happy banging away at Fifa 16 on my 3570k. Dropping $600+ to add 10fps with a skylake and m.2 ssd wouldn't do anything for her, she'd never notice the difference.

3570k's are quite happy to sit around the 4.3GHz mark with nothing more than a CM hyper212

Nexoit

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Might have to take a look at some how to's or something, I've considered it for ages just never got around to it because i don't know much about it.

frank_hnd

Honorable

I recommend reading this first:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-with-ln2-guide-at-the-end

don't be too scared, it is actually quite simple if you follow the steps. most motherboard already provide very good tools too.

Nexoit

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Looked into Overclocking and gave it a go. Running well at 4.0Ghz compared to the original 3.4Ghz. Might stick with this at least until i find some CPU performance issues in game etc. Was easier than what i expected! Thanks for your help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A successful overclock depends on several factors.
The motherboard (the cheaper models tend to have poor power phases, so high OC stability is unlikely and little to no heat sinks on voltage regulatory circuitry so overheating/burnouts are possible).
The cpu. There is a phenomenon known as the cpu lottery. Depending on the silicon the cpu is made from, you can get cpus at low voltage that OC well or cpus at high voltage that don't etc. My 3570 won't stabilize at 4.4GHz at 1.45v, my 3770, so far, has topped 4.9GHz at 1.32v. Stable.
Cooling. The faster a cpu runs the higher the running voltage, the harder it's pushed, the better the cooling needs to be. Stock coolers are designed for nominal operation, as in office work, light gaming, web surfing etc. Stock coolers are not designed for full load rendering or other extreme use applications. Nor are stock coolers designed for OC. To keep temps within safe (70°C) limits under heavy use (hard/extended gaming etc) an aftermarket cooler must be used, and the cooler should reflect the extreme use capability. In other words, don't use a budget cooler with a 180w capability on an OC that's beyond @120w or it'll lack the headroom necessary to maintain lower than safe temps. You don't want 100% loads to reach 100% cooler capability which will top 100°C.
Persistence. This is the hard part. A successful OC can take weeks to accomplish if pushing the boundaries. Multiple tests for extended periods, tinkering with very small voltage changes, amperage settings, PLL, LLC, C-states, dram speeds and voltages, and many more settings, all of which are set for a broad spectrum of cpus that must now be dialed in for your specific cpu to get the best performance, at the best temp, with perfect stability and usefulness. At 4.6GHz, my 3770 retains enough speed, great temps, 1.216v, C-3 for sleep mode, 1600 ram at 2133 1.55v and the Intel ability to cut back to idle speeds of 1.6GHz at perfect stability. I find this useful. Many at 4.6GHz have a locked speed of 4.6GHz, 1600 ram at 1866 1.5v, no sleep function, higher vcore, no idle, mediocre temps. And are happy.