Computer keeps restarting itself and sometimes wont even turn on

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Alright to start this off I'm currently typing this up on mobile and this has been the strangest issue I've come across and this has happened at least 3 separate times since I've upgraded to Windows 10. The last time this happened was about a week ago and basically I was just on the internet when my computer randomly shut down and proceeded to restart itself over and over until I removed two sticks of old 8GB RAM. After that it finally stopped restarting itself and windows proceeded to do "automatic repair".

After all that was done I did a system recover to a few days earlier to be safe and as I booted up my computer I received another error called "Inaccessible Boot Device" this was easier to fix, all I had to do was boot my computer into safe mode and then restart, problem solved.

Fast forward today and I was playing Overwatch and my computer randomly turned itself off again but this time it doesn't even restart it just refused to turn on. So I plugged my power cord into different outlets and it finally turned on but evenutally just starts restarting itself over and over again. This is the same issue but this time my computer wouldn't even turn on until I plugged into a different outlet. I dont't have that old RAM installed anymore so now I don't have a single clue to as what the problem is. I thought it was the RAM last time because my computer booted as soon as I removed it.

Any help is greatly appeciated. I'm just so insanely confused at the moment.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
@ktolo Hi my power supply model is Coolermaster V750-750W compact 80 plus gold. I do not currently have another power supply to test upon. I bought this one because the previous one died out.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
@ktolo To be clear you don't think its the RAM or OS correct? Thats what I thought as well, after getting this issue again I believe you would probably be correct in assuming that my power supply is probably fucked.

The cooling on my computer is probably not optimal but I've been using the same setup for nearly two years now I believe. So my motherboard is a business class and it doesn't have a lot of fan slots. I did not take that into account when I bought a liquid cooler and my motherboard only has two fan slots "cpu fan" and whatever the case fan is called.

I required both fan slots to power up the liquid cooler so I haven't had a case fan running for quite some time now.

Do you think this could be causing a temperture problem?

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

OK, I was asking because I have come across similar issues a couple of times before that turned out to be just parts of the computer not properly plugged in or shorting out.

You cold also try disconnecting everything but the CPU and RAM and see if it starts. Then plug one device at a time and try again to see if one of them causes the problem. If the cause continues to seem random, it might be something wrong with the power supply or the M/B.

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I think if it were a RAM problem (or cpu) you would be plauged by bluescreens... random and different things falling out of memory.
The fact that it's not hanging.. simply restarting.. also not 'wanting' to turn back on for a while. (Taking the 8GB RAM out may have been coincidence..after whatever component had cooled down a bit)

I would make sure everything is seated correctly.. plugged into the board.
Also.. if this is really the power supply, and it is your 2nd one you've gone through...

Do you plug straight into the wall or use a surge protector? I would consider adding another layer of protection between my computer and the wall.. at least a surge protector..possibly a UPS.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
@fixxxer113
I tried that the last time and only after a few hours my computer finally booted up. At this point I think you guys are right about the power supply/temps. I think the problem is bad cooling so the temps on the power supply is too high

Do you think this is the most likely case? the last time this happened was about 8 or 9 days ago I believe.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
@ktolo
I believe the first power supply I had died because it was just a sucky brand and just bad in general. This one I bought was affordable and had fairly decent reviews. I think its definitely the temp issues like you mentioned. I don't think normally a power supply like this one would die this quickly unless it was mishandled which is probably my case.

As I've thought about it more it was most likely coincidence that my computer turned on when I took out the RAM. I believe its probably a power supply issue now.

I have a surge protector, all my pc components and power cord have been plugged into a surge protector since I've had it.

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
With the PC on and the side cover off... play a game or whatever..put it under stress so it warms up.. and see if you can visually confirrm or not if the fan is spinning?
If the PSU is still under warranty.. and the fan is not working.. you can get a replacement.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
@ktolo
I can't do any of that right now because my computer won't boot up remember? I'm trying to figure out now what to do if my computer still turns on but constantly restarts do I need a new power supply or better cooling?

Did you read what I mentioned in a previous reply? I said that my motherboard is a business class model and only has two fan slots which I use both to power my liquid cooler so I dont have any case fans running. Ive had this set up for nearly two years now I believe, do you think this is causing temperature problems like you siad earlier?

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
IF PSU fan working..maybe a faulty component inside the psu. If the fan is not working.. then almost 100% a faulty component (or more) inside the psu.
As it's a water cooled system, i don't think it's excess heat for the cpu or gpu causing it.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
@ktolo
Ok I've checked the power supply fan and I can see that the fan is spinning and working. You mentioned that a part of the power supply might not be working correctly because of temperature issues if I dont have any case fans running could that cause these types of issues?

My computer right now is still constantly restarting itself

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
No.. things can break by themselves! The PSU fan should keep it cool. That's if every component in the psu was 100% fine then the psu fan would keep it cool.
Case fans would have very little effect on what goes on inside your psu. probably no effect at all.

If a component becomes weaker.. then it has a knock on effect of the rest of the system. The same is true of your psu. If one component starts to burn out a little bit.. then the stability of the whole psu is affected.
That's what i think is going on here. I think it's something is your psu. that when it gets too hot, the whole psu must shut down.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Alright, thanks for all the help so far. I'm getting a good idea of what the problem probably is.

I don't know whether it's good news or not but my computer booted up again and I had to wait pretty much the same amount of time I had to wait last time before it finally stopped restarting itself. I'm on my computer typing this now.

What do I do from here? Is there a way to figure out is this a PSU issue for sure and that I definitely need to replace it? I checked the voltages and the temps as soon as my computer turned on and they are still good like they are within the normal range but I will check the temps on my PSU as soon as I put it under load.

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Ok to update my situation again my computer just turned off again and won't start once again. This is the first time that it has occured this soon.

Can anybody confirm if this is a power supply issue at this point?

Johnson Deng

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Johnson Deng : "Windows shuts down randomly and sometimes wont turn on afterwards"

Hey, thanks for answering, my PSU is Coolermaster V750 - 750W Compact 80 Plus Gold. I built the computer myself a bit over 3 years ago.