4K and 2K dual monitor rig?

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
How will this rig fare using a UHD monitor for gaming and the 2K screen for anything that can't go to 4K (games that do not support that high resolution well i.e. Morrowind where the ui gets so small you can barely see it.) and browsing.

If this rig will not do well at UHD I will probably abandon that option as it will likely be another 6-8months before I do anything drastic like buying another GTX1080 just to run 4k or upgrading to a Titan X.

Here's my purposed build that I am currently working on with the hopes of adding a 4K screen after the build is complete.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jkbGqk

Solution
You are good; I have a similar setup with a 4k monitor and a 1600P monitor attached to a GTX980ti.
The side monitor has no impact on gaming.

On your build list, I have some suggestions:

1. No need for liquid cooling.
14nm skylake runs cool. My i5-6600K@4.8 is perfectly happy with a Noctua NH-U12s.
2. There is very little value in real app performance with ram faster than 1.2v 2400 speed.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html
I found that ram voltage higher than stock 1.2v seemed to inhibit my overclock.
Vengeance is a brand and you pay for the heat spreaders that are useless. The LPX is equally good and cheaper.
3. Love the ssd. I had one that my son wanted, so I replaced it with a m.2 Samsung 950 PRO.
Truth to...

HyperCat

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
Why not get a M.2 SSD instead which is much faster? If you are going to add a GTX 1080 later be aware that SLI support is bad, always stick with a single card.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

OK well 1, you didn't answer my question, and 2, I am going to get an M.2 eventually but I am getting the SSD before I get the new MoBo and my current board does not support M.2, in the meantime a Samsung PRO will get me an even greater increase in read/write speeds over my current Seagate HDD. So yes while I will have an M.2 eventually, I need to upgrade the storage sooner than it would take to get the MoBo and everything else with it at the same time.

This is my current build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bdJqpb

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013

That was a pretty rude reply. True, he didn't answer your question, but he didn't intend to. He wanted to give input on something else he noticed in your build. How was he to know that you hadn't just overlooked going for M.2? He was just trying to look out for ya. D:

You are good; I have a similar setup with a 4k monitor and a 1600P monitor attached to a GTX980ti.
The side monitor has no impact on gaming.

On your build list, I have some suggestions:

1. No need for liquid cooling.
14nm skylake runs cool. My i5-6600K@4.8 is perfectly happy with a Noctua NH-U12s.
2. There is very little value in real app performance with ram faster than 1.2v 2400 speed.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html
I found that ram voltage higher than stock 1.2v seemed to inhibit my overclock.
Vengeance is a brand and you pay for the heat spreaders that are useless. The LPX is equally good and cheaper.
3. Love the ssd. I had one that my son wanted, so I replaced it with a m.2 Samsung 950 PRO.
Truth to tell, I saw an improvement only with sequential tasks like a virus scan.

4. Your case comes with two 140mm front fans and a rear 140mm exhaust. I think that is sufficient and optimal.
If all intake is from front filtered fans, you case will stay clear of dust.
Adding other fans will draw in unfiltered air from other openings.
I would try the stock fans first and see how you do.

Solution

HyperCat

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
Ehhh how old are you? You are calling my suggestions "rude"? and sorry OP, forgot to tell you. A GTX 1080 will handle your monitors fine.

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my message. I'm not calling you rude. OP responded to you rudely, likely not intentionally. You made good suggestions, and he responded to them rudely because you didn't originally answer his question.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Well I am not trying to be rude I am just very sarcastic sometimes. I think that was a pretty mild response personally but not everyone thinks as I do.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

That's cool, he was talking to me btw. I wasn't trying to be rude and I am looking into M.2 just not at this time. I really just need an SSD soon and upgrading to an M.2 so shortly does not seem efficient to me. I am not trying to throw away money either.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Okay so the fans are actually replacement LED fans since I believe the fans that come with the case are blue LEDs and I want green LEDs its all about looks there. As I mentioned with the other guys I am looking into M.2 just not at this time because the SSD will be so new when I upgrade the board. The point of everything else is really to make the machine as OP as I can so that it will have better future applications without the need for extensive upgrades like I am doing now. For example I assume in the future I will need to OC the board to get the kind of performance I will be getting now. I absolutely HAVE to OC my board now to get the components to keep up with the GPU, So I am planning for the future with the liquid cooled fan, plus again it looks cool. I'm willing to pay a bit extra for aesthetics. As far as RAM goes I don't know much about it I literally grabbed the highest end RAM I could find from my favorite parts manufacturer, Corsair, and got the fastest kit I could find. But if it is going to INHIBIT me instead of enhance the performance I am not interested and will take a look at different speeds, I am willing to spend a bit extra for premiums as well.

Can't argue aesthetics.

That, to my mind is the only good argument for liquid cooling for 14nm processors.

Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.

Such coolers tend to destroy the efficiency of a positive pressure cooling setup that keeps your case clear of dust.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

I was going to mount the fans and radiator at the top of the case, which I think eliminates the heating of the case you are referring to, though I am not positive. As far as what that means with intake and exhaust I am not sure. The standard setup for the Corsair Hydro H115i is that the radiator is placed at the top of the inside of the case with the fans underneath, I would assume this is to cool the radiator as in a car engine as to where the hot air then goes I would again assume up for two reasons; 1.) the fans blow upward and out of the case as far as I can tell, and 2.) hot air rises so I think a logical place for a radiator would be near the top. I have also noticed this with my GPU as Zotac uses both exhaust pipes and a radiator with 3 fans to cool it. I am by no means an expert and this is all conjecture. I could be totally wrong. But the fan does look very cool and when I do eventually start OCing the mess out of it, the CPU will stay cool, The Corsair LED also helps the look factor.