Windows 10 product key help?

Aug 6, 2015
Due to a faulty motherboard I have decided to buy a different motherboard for my PC. I was wondering will I have to get a new Windows 10 product key in order to activate Windows 10 as well as new drivers etc. Sorry if this is an obvious question I'm new to PCs.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
it is possible but with the latest windows 10 update (the anniversary update) they have added a validation troubleshooter that would help validate your product key in these kind of situations. the usual way would be to call MS and see if they will re validate if it fails to because of new the mobo
it is possible but with the latest windows 10 update (the anniversary update) they have added a validation troubleshooter that would help validate your product key in these kind of situations. the usual way would be to call MS and see if they will re validate if it fails to because of new the mobo

Solution
I have replaced MoBos and even CPUs when a motherboard has failed on numerous occasions... there was no issue with reactivation Win 7 / Win XP). However, a failed motherboard replaced under warranty would normally be replaced with one from the same manufacturer. All of my rebuilds used the same MoBo brand. Since the OEM license for those OS's allowed for MoBo replacement, it would appear that the on-line activation procedure allows for this scenario. If you used an alternate brand, I imagine that you would have to make a call and talk your way thru it.

Win 10 on the other hand.... if it's not a mass market pre-built, that is you or your builder "bought Windows", no problem no matter how much stuff you change.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Aug 6, 2015

Thanks I'll just phone them up and work through it

Only reason to call is:

a) You have a pre-built mass market Win 10 machine in which windows was preinstalled (no media)
b) Your old pre-upgrade Win 7 / 8 a pre-built mass market Win 10 machine in which windows was preinstalled (no media)

If you purchased the Windows license either yourself or as an itemized purchase where Windows was an item on the bill, than it should work automatically.