Random BSODs and it's making me crazy!

Caelcanth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread but to be exact I really don't know where I should put it.

I'll just ask for help straight right in, It's been for a long time now and it just got to the point that It's getting into my nerves.

Whatever I'm doing with my laptop there will be some BSOD to appear, wether doing presentations, watching a video, playing a video game, it appears, roughly almost every 30 mins or as early as 10 mins as I open my laptop.

I've spent so much time researching online on what to do but it seems like nothing is working for me, I've updated every driver I can think of, restored the whole system not once, not twice but thrice.

If anyone can help me figure out what is happening to my laptop, or what causes these random BSODs I'd be very grateful.

Here I'll link my DxDiag files and the list of Processes running and Dump files

https://www.mediafire.com/?tt7846d0td3ckja

Solution

It seems like it won't let me update it, I tried to update with the Intel driver update utility and it says there is an error, I've also tried it manually but same thing.

Maybe my driver doesn't have a support for Windows 10? That is possible right?

As for other errors, I've searched in the forum for solutions to try and for now I found two similar events that could help me out:

- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2544477/bsod-0x9c-gaming-gaming-helps.html
- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3168016/system-service-exception-bsod.html

should...

Caelcanth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I got two errors it seems.

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082016-30515-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142940)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8021935594A, 0xFFFFD000219DE480, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081916-31796-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x35F1F)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE001E9461028, 0xB6000000, 0x120135)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

One time the hal.dll was also marked as Error: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA and MCE are both hardware related, WHEA is often the CPU. It can be caused by overheating, overclocking, not enough power to CPU. I will let someone who can read dumps come to a conclusion on those two. The System service exception is likely to be a driver but its not telling us which on the who crashed report

third bughceck looks like the other two, just a different processor and cache bank involved. system was up 1 hour 12 mins.
system also reports a problem with the storage controller driver. It might just be a error that happened because the CPU was in the process of crashing but
you should boot windows and run cmd.exe as an admin then run
sfc.exe /scannow
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

this will fix any corrupted windows files. The debugger does not see any corrupted files but it can not hurt to check.

you might want to look at the acer website for BIOS updates and driver updates for your system.
other than that this is not going to be much help.

-------------
second bugcheck looks like the first. system was up 12 minutes, running a game, then the CPU got a CPU cache error on processor 0 cache bank 3 and shut down the system with bugcheck 0x124.
-------------
first bugcheck was a CPU cache error after 2 hr system up time
it kind of looks like a overheating problem. I don't see any indication of overclocking that would cause this error.
bugcheck 0x124. it could be a GPU overheating and causing the voltage to the CPU to fluctuate so it got a CPU cache error.

Vendor Insyde Corp.
BIOS Version V1.15
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 07/20/2015

Manufacturer Acer
Product Aspire ES1-512
Version V1.15

Processor Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
Processor Voltage 89h - 0.9V
External Clock 83MHz
Max Speed 2656MHz
Current Speed 2176MHz

Caelcanth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Thank you for your reply, I have done what you said, used cmd to fix corrupted files and updated every driver and the BIOS but still have the errors, additionally I cleaned up my laptop inside and out for debris that may be clogging the air vent and such causing overheat.

Also, this popped up

On Mon 29/08/2016 23:34:14 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: igdkmd64.sys (igdkmd64+0xC2840)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE001818B4028, 0xB6000000, 0x120135)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys
product: Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R)
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igdkmd64.sys (Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I may try to substitute the GPU because it seems to be the one causing it,

What shall I do if in the end it isn't the one that cause it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is integrated graphics, its built into PC, so would be difficult to substitute out or even not use. Way laptops work is most use intel graphics for desktop work and the AMD/Nvidia card for games and graphic intensive

As you say you have latest Win 10 driver, I won't question why it shows as Win 8.

I let John help, I am just passing through :)

Caelcanth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Hmm, actually it is showing up as updateable again, weird, you think it could have installed incorrectly?

Caelcanth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

It seems like it won't let me update it, I tried to update with the Intel driver update utility and it says there is an error, I've also tried it manually but same thing.

Maybe my driver doesn't have a support for Windows 10? That is possible right?

As for other errors, I've searched in the forum for solutions to try and for now I found two similar events that could help me out:

- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2544477/bsod-0x9c-gaming-gaming-helps.html
- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3168016/system-service-exception-bsod.html

should I give a try?

Solution