How long can Windows 10 last with no license?

Solution
as far as i know, the only limits it places is personalization type stuff. should still get updates and overall be the same OS. you just can't change themes/backgrounds and other personal type things.

at least this is what i recall reading. all mine are activated so can't say from personal experience. but did see a couple articles on tech sites talking about it

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016

what features does it limit? its windows or a graphics card.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as far as i know, the only limits it places is personalization type stuff. should still get updates and overall be the same OS. you just can't change themes/backgrounds and other personal type things.

at least this is what i recall reading. all mine are activated so can't say from personal experience. but did see a couple articles on tech sites talking about it

Solution

I seem to remember that Win 10 stopped the updates when the trial period was over. I could be mistaken on this since I have not installed 10 without a code. Win Vista and Win 7 would limit the visual features and bring the system to Windows Basic when the trial period expired. This is where it limit's its features. This I did run across myself learning that OS.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so much has changed with win 10 as far as activation and updates and all that, i'm not 100% sure about much of anything with it :)

either way i'd get a key and activate it. MS does put a lot of work into the OS (even if the work was aimed at "monetizing" me) and they deserve their payment for their work. i'll see if i can find one of the articles i saw on this topic. i'm pretty sure the limits were only cosmetic and did not limit features at all. i'll do some digging to be sure so i'm not spreading false info .....

Colif

Win 11 Master
After you’ve installed Windows 10 without a key, it won’t actually be activated. However, an unactivated version of Windows 10 doesn’t have many restrictions. With Windows XP, Microsoft actually used Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) to disable access to your computer. These days, Windows just complains at you in a few minor, cosmetic ways.

Initially, you won’t notice a difference. Eventually, Windows will start nagging you a tiny bit. First, you’ll notice a watermark in the bottom-right corner of your screen. You’ll also see a “Windows isn’t activated. Activate Windows now.” link at the bottom of the Settings app. This is the only form of nag you’ll see–there are no pop-up windows, for example.

Second, you’ll be unable to change your desktop wallpaper and from the Personalization > Background screen in the Settings app. You’ll see a “You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC” message at the top of this window, and the options for changing your wallpaper will be grayed out.

You can still change your wallpaper in other ways, however. For example, you can right-click an image in File Explorer and select “Set as desktop background.” You could also open an image in the Photos app, click the menu button, click “Set as,” and click “Set as background.” Windows 7 eventually switched you back to a black background, but Windows 10 doesn’t seem to do this.

You’ll find Windows 10’s included wallpapers under the C:\Windows\Web folder in File Explorer.

Aside from these basic limitations, your Windows 10 system will continue to work forever. There are no nag prompts aside from the watermark, you’ll get all the system updates, and everything else is completely functional. The only thing that could change this is a Windows 10 update, but Microsoft has become increasingly lenient since Windows 7.

http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

But that might be old, though I would assume web site would update article if it were

Article later says:

If Microsoft doesn’t want people using unactivated copies of Windows 10 for extended periods of time, it can release a system update that disables this.

So running unactivated works but buying licence is safest option as no guarantee it will work without one forever.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that sounds very similar to what i recall reading. might be the same article i saw though it is not dated.

but this is in line with what i remember seeing. no actual limitations right now other than cosmetic ones. but of course that can change anytime MS decides to push an update that adds some limitations. considering that they are pulling and selling as much data as possible from win 10 installs. they probably will let it slide for the time being. they still get to collect and sell all the juicy data they want even if it is not an activated product. they make the money either way.