Fast Boot Option On or Off

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
So I just figured out that this option is currently enabled by default on my laptop (as well as my desktop). For those of you not familiar with it, click here for additional information.

Quick story about how I found out.
I had shut my laptop down and a few hours later it turns on by itself, which led me into looking into my power options. Super weird issue that it turned on by itself...Anyway,

Now for my actual question. Should I have this option enabled or disabled for a laptop? My concern is that if I leave it enabled, it will drain my battery when I don't use my laptop (sometimes go days without using it) since it is going into some sort of sleep mode rather than fulling turning off right? Also, is this bad for the laptop, especially if it is being carried horizontally in a backpack?

Finally, I have tried booting with fast mode on and off and it actually does make a big difference. About a minute or more.

What are your thoughts? Turn it off on my laptop and keep it enabled for my desktop?

Thanks

Solution
Fastboot has nothing to do with your issue, since it's only when turning off the machine (basically it restarts and enters hibernate rather than actually shut down, but that requires you to press the power button to turn on anyway). Unless you have software compatibility issues (some drivers can be buggy since they expect a full shutdown), keep it on.

Fastboot has nothing to do with your issue, since it's only when turning off the machine (basically it restarts and enters hibernate rather than actually shut down, but that requires you to press the power button to turn on anyway). Unless you have software compatibility issues (some drivers can be buggy since they expect a full shutdown), keep it on.

Solution

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

So keeping it on won't affect battery life of the laptop either?

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Really? Doesn't fast boot keep the laptop in some sort of hibernate/sleep mode which thus draws more power than it being completely off?

Fastboot=hibernate without memory mapping, it uses exactly as much power as being off. Even standby only takes ~15% a day for most systems, so not an issue

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I see. So there really aren't any negatives for enabling fast startup even for laptops and even if the laptop is only powered up occasionally (once a week or so)?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

No negatives for that, but plenty of negatives for infrequent use. Make sure you cycle the battery at least twice a month or it will start degrading , and don't leave it fully charged for more than a few days.