Windows 10 Blue screen when trying to update USB or Display Drivers

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
So what's happening is, it will try to update so after 5-15secs. it will go to a blue screen, It has a error message Mutiple IRP Complete Request. I tried to install it in Safe Mode and same thing happens. Reason why i tried to update is, everytime i also plug in a USB drive or External HDD, it goes to the same blue screen where it would restart and goes to a restore mode. Weird thing is it doesn't happen when plugging in a USB Mouse or a Gaming Keyboard. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
the system bugchecked ELAN PS/2 Port Smart Pad driver
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ETD.sys Thu Aug 30 01:47:45 2012
but it shows the stack was corrupted during a plug and play operations.

I would guess a BIOS update would help fix the problem.
this could also be a bug in the driver, you can not tell at this point who corrupted the stack.

I would focus on getting a BIOS update and any driver updates I could get.
(see below) even if you can not get a BIOS update, go into bios, make any change to any setting and change it back, save the results and reboot. it will force the system to rescan your hardware and rebuild a database of hardware settings. also get the intel storage driver update, and the sound driver update (to prevent...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Two things that will help fix this

1. Can you download and run Who crashed: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will look at errors and may tell us name of driver responsible

copy/paste results in here.

2. Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone will help you fix it :)

most likely you have a old driver that is incorrectly responding to another drivers packets.

I would just put the memory dump from c:\windows\minidump directory on a server like microsoft onedrive, share the files for public access and post a link here.

I can use the debugger and see if I can figure out the conflict.
(two drivers for the same device but with different dates and directories, or sometimes a very old virus scanner driver mixed in with a new copy of the same antivirus scanner at lease that what was wrong in previous cases i looked at)

you can also attempt to detect the old drivers your self. start cmd.exe as an admin then run
driverquery.exe /v >c:\mydrivers.txt
notepad c:\mydrivers.txt

and look at the driver dates column.

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

here are the results boss that i got sir:
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 8/18/2016 1:30:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081816-30375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142940)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE0008E382B40, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has tried to requested an IRP be completed that is already complete.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 8/18/2016 1:30:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: etd.sys (ETD+0x1B54)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE0008E382B40, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etd.sys
product: ELAN Smart-Pad
company: ELAN Microelectronics Corp.
description: ETD Kernel Center
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has tried to requested an IRP be completed that is already complete.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: etd.sys (ETD Kernel Center, ELAN Microelectronics Corp.).
Google query: ELAN Microelectronics Corp. MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS

On Mon 8/15/2016 9:24:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081516-33843-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE0005EB46010, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 8/15/2016 8:33:37 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081516-98421-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE00111E09BD0, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)

On Thu 7/21/2016 7:17:44 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072116-94062-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE0001C24ABD0, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)

On Mon 7/4/2016 2:02:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070416-86578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1427A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE0013BF1A010, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)

On Sat 6/18/2016 5:28:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061916-85593-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1427A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE000332B4810, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)

On Fri 6/10/2016 8:52:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061016-51031-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142780)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE00031843B40, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)

On Sun 5/15/2016 4:04:51 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051516-91625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142760)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE001A947B500, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)

On Wed 4/27/2016 6:38:58 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042716-86468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142760)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFE000A2A25B40, 0xFE7, 0x0, 0x0)

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Sorry for the late reply, been busy cause of work, but i am going to do the steps that you instructed me to do.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The drivers for your touchpad need to be updated, is is the one driver mentioned on the who crashed report that isn't part of windows.

go check your laptop makers web site and see if there are newer drivers for it.

its also possible you have the software and not an elan touchpad but I would check the drivers first - it seems last year win 10 was auto loading it at one stage: http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/5062-elan-touchpad-driver-update.html

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

TouchPad ELANTECH Touchpad Driver - 2013/10/11
TouchPad Synaptics Touchpad Driver - 2013/10/11

Should i download and install both?

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

So just to confirm that i got this right sir, uninstall the touchpad drivers then install the new ones that i donwloaded right, so the one causing the issue is the touchpad drivers, not the USB or Bluetooth drivers? Do i find it also in the device manager options?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible you already had the driver you replaced, since they from 3 years ago.

Do you use the touchpad itself?

their web site just says to use motherboard drivers, but does show how to stop the device, if you don't use it: http://www.emc.com.tw/eng/st_tpn_sp.asp
then you could simply remove its drivers.

that error comes up a lot with touchpads, not just yours and if I search tds.sys it matches the elan touchpad.

Now that isn't to say the logs won't reveal more details so wait and see, there could be something else that is also at work. I would look at them but I need to work out how, one day.

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
^ i rarely use it lol but no problem for me to disable it also, would rather use the mouse haha ok sir 'll wait, and no need to rush about this, notice that blue screen comes up when plugging usb/hdd, using bluetooth of the laptop and installing drivers, but still same irp message comes up, currently restoring laptop right now, just using my phone to reply, but for now after its finished, i will disable the touchpad

Colif

Win 11 Master
After looking more, IRP errors can be any device. I also can't see a driver I would pick out of your selection on the Acer site that would guarantee fixing it.

what i would do is right click start button
pick device manager
click on arrow next to Bluetooth
right click on Bluetooth module
choose properties
open driver tab and see what version driver you have installed and compare it against the web site

i can only guess Intel Management Engine are the chipset drivers but I don't like guessing.

if cardreader can cause bsod, check its drivers as well the same way as the Bluetooth ones.

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
So now after the restore, it says it can't start gives me option to restart or advance options. Tried both restart or turn off, but gives now the same irp message restarts and goes back again to diagnosing the pc loading bar and goes back to automatic repair screen, just a question sir, if i reset this pc, will i be able to keep my windows 10, cause idh a disc or a usb for it, but its a license one, cause idh 8.1 before upgrading to 10. Is that how you reformat it ? Or reset it? Bad thing is i have some important files on this pc :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was not expecting anything like to happen just from a driver. what type of restore was it? was it the one that just takes you back a few days? it probably put the drivers back on you had removed.

You would need a USB for both the below things

if you have another PC, you can try this method to rescue those files: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ or take drive out of laptop and attach to other pc as a second drive and copy info off it that way.

Also, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you make a Install USB we can try to boot into safe mode where you can remove that driver
need to change boot order in bios so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

now right click start
open device manager
find the touchpad in devices and both stop the device and remove drivers
restart PC and see if it gives error

we try to fix pc before thinking about reinstalling

your PC has a digital entitlement to win 10, you will always be able to install win 10 on it again.

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Yes its the same error message, so normally after restoring it would go to the log in page, but now it just goes to the repair, so it would just goes back to the same message, with restart or turn off. So far same loop happens so got no choice to either just restart or turn off under advance options. Would check also at work later if i can borrow. USB for it

Colif

Win 11 Master
You need two USB, Win 10 should be a 8gb USB. You should have one anyway, they not that expensive and handy for backups.

i would try to make that Linux live USB and use it to copy all the files you don't want to lose off.

Two choices

Either use the win 10 installer and fresh install win 10
just follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

or you could try a factory reset which would probably take PC back to win 8 and then you would need to install win 10 over top, but the only advantage to a factory reset is it includes the drivers for your hardware. Most of which you can get off the internet, and some of which are causing this error now. win 10 will try to install them all for you anyway.

I think the short cut keys for factory reset are Alt F10 on your laptop, give it a go

Press "Alt-F10" on boot to access the recovery console if the computer can't boot into Windows.
To back up your files before formatting the hard drive, click the "Back Up" tab, then click "Create." Follow the on-screen directions to store the files to an alternate storage device.
seems it lets you in to backup files, still need a USB.

EJDiaZ

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
So ill look into these two options, but just in case i decide to factory reset, will it ask for product key or something, i dont have the information now. Also if it goes to install 10 again, is it possible that i'll get the same usb or driver issues, and if i reset, do i select just remove files or clean drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Resets don't ask for a licence, they don't do that stage of the install. In all versions prior to win 10 you couldn't install windows without entering licence, so a reset assumes you past that stage and just puts win 10 on using the info it records somewhere with your licence on it.

I would put win 10 on rather than factory reset, as if your laptop has been on win 10 more than one month, your win 8 licence has become a win 10 licence, and you may find win 8 isn't activated anymore.

There is a chance this problem might happen again, but its a clean install, it will have far less old drivers on it than the reset would. This problem may be caused by an old driver that wasn't named in the who crashed, fresh start might avoid it happening again.

a factory reset using Alt F10 at boot deletes everything on drive and then puts win 8 back on again.

there is a third choice, or should I say, another version of reset. Win 10 has it too.

Using a win 10 installer USB, boot pc
on screen after language choices, select repair this pc, not install
choose reset PC
3 choices
save files and settings - this keeps folders in your libraries (like music, documents, pictures, etc) and your logon info
Wipe it all - this removes all your files and reinstalls win 10
Factory reset - this removes everything and reinstalls win 8

you could try keep files and settings before a fresh install, just to see if it fixes it.

the system bugchecked ELAN PS/2 Port Smart Pad driver
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ETD.sys Thu Aug 30 01:47:45 2012
but it shows the stack was corrupted during a plug and play operations.

I would guess a BIOS update would help fix the problem.
this could also be a bug in the driver, you can not tell at this point who corrupted the stack.

I would focus on getting a BIOS update and any driver updates I could get.
(see below) even if you can not get a BIOS update, go into bios, make any change to any setting and change it back, save the results and reboot. it will force the system to rescan your hardware and rebuild a database of hardware settings. also get the intel storage driver update, and the sound driver update (to prevent problems)

I would be looking for a update or remove this driver:
Dritek System Inc. PS/2 KB to HID Device Driver
aPs2Kb2Hid.sys
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\aPs2Kb2Hid.sys Sat Aug 04 03:19:18 2012

here are some other old drivers you might also want to update or remove:
CD-ROM Class Filter Driver by Gear Software.
Also comes with iTunes
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys Thu May 03 12:56:17 2012

Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\iaStorA.sys Mon Jul 09 13:42:33 2012
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

EgisTec Inc. Fingerprint Biometrics/MyWinLocker
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mwlPSDFilter.sys Fri Mar 25 00:12:11 2011
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mwlPSDNServ.sys Fri Mar 25 00:12:13 2011
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mwlPSDVDisk.sys Fri Mar 25 00:12:23 2011
http://www.egistec.com/ (or from the laptop vendors website)

NTI CD-ROM Filter Driver by NewTech Infosystems (likely a part of Acer Empowering Technology)
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\NTIDrvr.sys Mon Apr 19 18:39:04 2010

Sonic CD/DVD driver (used by many different CD/DVD programs)
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PxHlpa64.sys Mon Oct 17 07:29:34 2011

: Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver
SystemRoot\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jun 12 03:02:32 2012
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
(or from your motherboard vendors website)

NTI CD &DVD-Maker or NTI Backup NOW! or NTI CD-Maker by NewTech Infosystems (usually in Acer Empowering Technology)
\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\UBHelper.sys Mon Jul 05 21:20:31 2010

Note: I could not read your bios info from the memory dump, this often indicates a very old BIOS version.
you might want to go to your motherboard vendors website and install the most up to date BIOS version you can get.
and apply the most up to date drivers you can gets. it could also just be a bug in the old intel storage driver (iaStorA.sys)

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Laptop currently doesn't even boot and looks on way towards a reset which will get rid of all those old drivers (from my understanding, resets wipe drivers)

The latest bios is from 2013, lucky its all on one web site for the laptop.

I need to work out how to read dumps.