1gb internet with router Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 only seeing 180Mbs speeds

jschulert

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I just got 1gb fiber installed and am having a problem with my router. My computer is connected through Ethernet but i only getting about 180Mbs through the router. Directly connected I am getting 800+. The router have 10/100/1000 LAN and WAN ports.

I have tried disabling firewall (I reenabled it after the test), and QoS is disabled. Directly connection to my PC gets 800 Mbs so the cable is fine. I am at a loss of what to try next and Google is only bringing back old results.

Model: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (06/03/12) std - build 19154

You should be able to see the cpu utilization in that router. I forget exactly where because there are so many revisions of dd-wrt. If nothing else you can get it with cmd lines.

The throughput of a router is pretty much limited by cpu. It seems you have turned off the feature like qos,firewall vpn etc and it makes no difference. That pretty much leave the NAT function eating the cpu.

This is a rather old router so it has dropped off the testing sites that would show expect maximum throughput using wired connections. 5 or 6 years ago a couple hundred megabit rates was what your average priced consumer routers were getting. The new ones you see now even mid priced device can get over 700 or 800m.

I am going to bet the router is just too old to run that fast.

I suppose you could try a newer dd-wrt firmware and see if you get lucky and it runs faster.

jschulert

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the response. You nailed it I think. I ran the test and looked at the CPU utilization while it was running and it was at 100%. Thanks for clearing this up for me!